Author Topic: Anyone know what the thread size is for mk1 rhodes legs?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline phasesonix

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Anyone know what the thread size is for mk1 rhodes legs?
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:28:32 PM »
hi,

if anyone knows what the thread size is for the screw in legs on mk1 stage rhodes please let me know.

thanks,loz

Offline Cormac Long

• Administrator
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • The Electric Piano Forum
Re: Anyone know what the thread size is for mk1 rhodes legs?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
This older post may have some answers on this..

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=5714

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know what the thread size is for mk1 rhodes legs?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »

Mike Peterson's memory was perfect.  They are indeed 3/4" - 10 threads per inch.

After reading Mike's post last year, I went to the evil big box hardware store, and spent fifty bucks for four new legs.

This is what you need to make some cheap-and-nasty legs:

four each 3/4"-10 threaded rod, 2 feet long
four each 3/4"-10 bolts, 3 inches long
four each 3/4"-10 nuts
four each 3/4"-10 coupling nuts

The coupling nuts are sold in little baggies hanging next to the threaded rod.   

It couldn't be simpler:  Just use the coupling nut to connect the 3" bolt to the end of the threaded rod, and the head of the bolt becomes the foot of the leg.  At the top end of the leg, I threaded a nut about a half inch down from the end.

Screw the end of the rod into the piano until it touches the nut, and then use a wrench to tighten the nut up against the bottom of the piano to keep the leg from wobbling around and unscrewing (or worse, screwing itself in too far and breaking some keys or the keybed).

The end result is perfect height, and looks great from a distance.

HOWEVER, the resulting legs are very heavy, and they are not as stiff as the tubular authentic legs.  Even though the threaded rod is very thick, you can notice that they flex a tiny bit.  Improvised cross braces would probably solve that, but it is only a minor complaint.  The piano doesn't bounce from playing, it only sways a bit when I bump into it.

This solution is fine for my basement music room, but would suck if I had to move the piano to gig.  The threaded rods feel terrible in your hands (rough, sharp, flakey zinc coating). 

If I wanted to make them a bit more secure, I guess I could secure the assembly with a little epoxy or loctite on the coupling threads.

They are NOT super elegant looking, but for twelve bucks per leg... works great!

Sean