Is anybody making new octave damper strips for post '75 Rhodes'? VV?

Started by goldphinga, January 06, 2014, 01:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldphinga

I'd like to get a new spare set of octave strip dampers for my Rhodes but it seems nobody makes the modular strips. VV make single dampers but not octave strips, so only the earlier pianos are catered for leaving those of us with later pianos stuck with using used damper strips if our dampers are shot.

If someone at VV is reading this, are you intending to make the octave strips? There'd be a lot of people wanting them i think. I know Speakeasy made them for a while, but not sure if they were any good and they no longer list them on their shop.

Thanks y'all!  8)

timpotent

Vintage Vibe replied on me September 23th :

"Hi,

Yes, we are going to be making some, but if you need them right away best get them used. It will be 2-3 months before we have them.

Best, Chris"

September 23th + 3 months is ... NOW ;-)

I also had mail from Speakeasy saying they don't have them :-(

pianotuner steveo

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

goldphinga

Ok this is good news, lets hope this timeframe is correct!!

PS re Speakeasy, i think they are still in business but unfortunately their founder passed away not too long ago.

Peter Hayes

I do have a set of Speakeasy dampers (no felts - for a 73) as well as some used (but usable) octave dampers if you need them.
Peter@elecedge.com
Peter Hayes
Electronic Edge
http://www.elecedge.com
937-767-7174

goldphinga

So, any news on this? Strangely one of the most important parts for Rhodes that still aren't available. Last we heard was they were arriving in December 2013 but still nothing yet...

Any update on this VV?

timpotent

VV is too busy building their own piano's I guess...

Me too want those dampers so badly.
Our UK supplier, electrickeys.co.uk, listed them as "to come" so I'm keeping the dream alive ! :-D

Peter Hayes

Again.....
I do have a set of Speakeasy dampers (no felts - for a 73) as well as some used (but usable) octave dampers if you need them.
Peter Hayes
Electronic Edge
937-767-7174

goldphinga

Thanks Peter, sorry i wasnt ignoring you, just i heard the Speakeasy damper strips werent made of the correct material...and also do they have the profiled edges like the single VV new dampers?

Peter Hayes

No worries. They do not have the profiled edges. They are considerably heftier than the stock damper arms. 

I do have some original dampers as well if you need 'em.
Peter Hayes
Electronic Edge
937-767-7174

Fred

Vintage Vibe will be offering damper combs for late model MkI - MkII pianos. They will be made of the same material as the damper arms found in VVEPs and will also feature the same profiled edges to eliminate excessive flex upon heavy blows. I estimate a lead time of another two months or so before they become available.
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

goldphinga

yes! this is the news ive been waiting for. one quick question, what era are the damper combs modelled on? the early dampers had good stopping power BUT they caused a heavier touch as the spring part of the damper arm was much shorter than say on a mkv...i think we all want light/sensitive touch with tough stopping power. thats the holy grail surely? can you tell us anymore about the design Fred? thanks

Fred

"light/sensitive touch with tough stopping power" is definitely what we are going for. We are happy with the feel and response of our current dampers, so the combs are modeled after those found in the VVEP (which are the same damper arms as those offered as early Mk 1 replacements).
Collector
(203) 824-1528

timpotent

Olaf

Fred

Chris is on vacation. When he returns, I'll see if he has any update...
Collector
(203) 824-1528

timpotent

Only update I noticed is that the VV remake single damper arms are obsolete too ....

Christian Clarke

I'll be stocking the single dampers soon and I'm reliably informed that the damper strips are in production at the moment.

Julian

Hi Christian,

That's great news about the single damper arms, I'll keep an eye on your website! I'd love to replace the damper arms and bridle straps on my 88.

Kind Regards,
Julian

goldphinga

What's the feel like on pianos using the vv dampers? Are they good for a light touch with good stopping power or are they heavier feeling? Anyone used them in an old Rhodes?

Christian Clarke

goldphinga

Does this mean the octave strips are around the corner? Hope so. So many Rhodes actions could be made lighter with new dampers installed. For example- the mkv style dampers make for a much lighter action...Hope the VV ones are based on these. Cheers Christian for the update.

timpotent

I ordered the single damper arms and drilled new holes.
Didn't want to wait forever ...

goldphinga

Bump!!

Still find it strange that one of the most important replacement parts for Rhodes is still not being produced. Any update? Surely if the single arms are already produced it's not a massive jump in manufacture to make the strips?

Update pls!

Fred

I never received an update on eta of late model dampers. I would call VV directly and ask.
Not always, but usually you can restore tension to later damper arms by removing them from the piano and reverse bending each individual damper arm of the comb around a quart size paint can. That is, bend them in the direction that would take them upwards from the keys when in the piano (I usually wrap them around the can from the fastening point of the comb to the base of the bridle strap punch).  Once the combs are installed and before replacing the damper bar, carefully adjust the individual arms to a consistent height to ensure proper damper timing.   
Collector
(203) 824-1528

solomoncowan

Noticing this thread started in 2014 and continued onto 2015, its now 2016 almost 2017 and still no comb dampers from VV (i dont think its going to happen at this point). Im just purchased my first fender rhodes a few weeks ago, Its a mk1 from 1977. Decent condition, just needed some cleaning and a few things here and there. Almost got it were it needs to be, just ordered full refrub kit, and back check kit, and a few cosmetic parts from VV. My dampers are good for the most part, but being from 77 it would be nice to go ahead and replace them all. There are only a few that are slightly problematic but they are in the extreme treble and extreme base areas (problems being they just arent as stiff as the rest). im going to try to bend them up a little to get by. In the future i might just order all the individual damper arms and drill holes in damper holder(not sure what its called) then bolt them all on. Any tips or ideas? is this a bad idea?

Ben Bove

You really shouldn't need to replace these damper sections - if they're present, they can be made to work well again.

The most common problem is that people bend them over the years improperly, and that causes them not to function correctly - bouncing off the tines, not clearing the tine swing, etc.

To stiffen them up again, it's a simple procedure but just takes getting down to them in the piano:
- You'll need to unscrew the harp at the ends, and pull it forward so it hangs over the keyboard (use a towel etc. to protect from scraping)
- remove the sustain rail over the dampers - on a 77 it should be 2 small screws on each side that hold in the pivot pins.  Scoot one of the pins out with a screwdriver and pull the rail out.
- you should now see the damper sections - unscrew them from the action rail where you're having trouble, and see that they probably are not flat.
- the goal is to get them flat, and can be fixed while still attached to the hammers.  If you flex the dampers inward, where they separate from the base into individual dampers, this should help return the stiffness.  You may even want to hyper extend them slightly if you like, which definitely will give good spring response.  Not too much though.
- after they're reinstalled, you may need to adjust individual dampers to stop the tines - this is done by only bending the tip - holding with one hand and bending with the other, so the bend doesn't affect the shaft further in the back.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

David Aubke

I agree with Ben. I've yet to meet a damper arm that couldn't be straightened out and returned to service.

Quote from: solomoncowan on October 18, 2016, 10:20:07 AMIn the future i might just order all the individual damper arms and drill holes in damper holder(not sure what its called) then bolt them all on. Any tips or ideas? is this a bad idea?

I think it could work, but... The early arms are contoured at their mounting holes. The corners are slightly turned down so that they bite into the wood of the early action rail. I believe this is part of what keeps them properly aligned but I'm not sure how effective that will be on an aluminum action rail. Additionally, a bead of glue was run across the early arms right at their mounting point. Also, I believe, to help keep them from pivoting on their single mounting screw.

So, I'm not sure what you could do to provide the same stability on an aluminum action rail.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Tim Hodges

Any luck with these?

I have a MK2 which is in desperate need of some!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

timpotent

Vintage Vibe's twitter account on January 18th :
We're adding #Rhodes damper combs to our already extensive line of parts! We'll have these combs available very soon