News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Shameless self-plug / Looking for input

Started by jd11193, August 25, 2014, 10:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd11193

I wanted to tell you all that I've posted a fairly in-depth video review of the Rhodes on YouTube and I'm hoping to get some feedback! Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRMCjgNnGIM&list=UUBAGdw9bwTtga-JYHt5F3Gg

My intention was to take some of the information I've gathered about the instrument and put it together in one video. I know (and I know you all especially will know) that I didn't cover every aspect of the Rhodes, but basically I wanted to make a good introduction video for someone who has limited knowledge of the instrument.

Besides feedback on the video I'm also looking for any suggestions about future videos that focus on the Rhodes. I'm going to be doing a video on the Rhodes + Effects, and another on the Nord Electro / Korg SV1 Rhodes sounds to show how they compare to the original instrument. But other than those two, is there anything else you'd like to see?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys (and gals) think!

-Jack

Edit: Just noticed that the section on the suitcase amplifiers has some wrong info, anybody know when the effects loop/ individual outputs were introduced? I'll have to add an annotation to the video

Student Rhodes

Great video primer for people unfamiliar with the Rhodes.  Nicely done.
Pretty sure the effects loop came in '74, though it may have been late '73.

pianotuner steveo

Some modern Yamaha keyboards do a nice Rhodes simulation too, if you want another to compare.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

BerneseMtnDog

Very nice video.  Great sound too!  It's good to have this out there for folks considering a Rhodes.  My piano is an early 75' but sometimes when I hear a later Mark I like yours I wish I had that sound too.  I love that bell-like tone too. 

Steve
1975 Rhodes Stage 73
Yamaha Motif XS6
Hohner Clavinet-Pianet Duo
1945 Hammond CV
1969 Leslie 145
1946 Hammond DR-20 Tone Cab

jd11193

Thanks for the responses guys! Glad you liked the video, it's good to hear that sound was alright. I can never tell how it'll come through on other people's speakers. Also thanks for the suggestion of comparing a modern Yamaha board as well, if I can manage to get a hold of one I will definitely put in in that video.

My next big project is getting similar reviews done for the Yamaha CP70 and Wurlitzer 200A. As far as the Rhodes goes I'll be doing the comparison video like I mentioned, and some more effects demos as well. If you're interested I'll be posting some videos of the Rhodes ran through some effects pedals later this week.