News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Horizontally aligning the tine to pickup

Started by alexdecker, August 25, 2014, 03:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexdecker

Hi

Some of the tines in my '72 does not align horizontally correct to the pickup (see attached picture).

I have searched the forum, and most people recommend loosening the screw attaching the tine to the tonebar, and adjust the tine accordingly.

BUT when I check out Vintage Vibe's YouTube videos, they have one video stating the importance of the tines aligning up perfectly with the tonebar, without commenting on any issues regarding further alignment of tine to pickup.

So just wanted to ask in here, and get some answers from some experienced people perhaps:

Do any of you have any other solutions to this problem, and if not, have any of you noticed any timbre or sustain differences in a tine which is off alignment with the tonebar?

– Alex

voltergeist

The tonebar itself should be straight.  (ie the vertical section of the tonebar should be aligned with the horizontal section)
The tine should be aligned with the tonebar.
The pickup can be shifted a bit side-to-side to compensate for any remaining misalignment.
Sometimes misalignment is due to the hole for the tonebar's wood screws not being drilled correctly, or a screw can be bent. 
Horizontal alignment of the tine to the pickup is not critical.  ie it doesn't have to be exactly in the center of the pickup.

If the tine is not aligned with the tonebar you get weird oscillations, mainly.  Bad tone, volume fades in and out, etc. 

Alignment of the tine to the tonebar is critical on the low notes.  Alignment with the pickup is secondary.

Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270