News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Restoring Wurli Sustain Pedal to Stock

Started by juniornoodle, October 26, 2014, 01:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juniornoodle

I have a vintage Wurlitzer sustain pedal that came with my 200A. It seems someone along the line changed the pedal from stock in a couple of different ways, and to ill effect. I'd like to change it back.

If you look at the first attached image, you'll see some sort of mechanism (I don't even know what to call it), on the top of the box surrounding the cable. I don't believe this is stock as I'm not seeing photos of sustain pedals with this on it. Now if you look at at the last attached image, you'll see the inside of the pedal where the cable comes in through the top. The cable is rubbing against the side of this metal piece that is shown surrounding the cable, and I think this is the cause of a kind of grinding and slow response from the pedal. You'll also notice that there is no pedal box clamp here.

So my first question is, do I need to purchase a pedal box clamp from a specialty provider like Vintage Vibe, or are there suggestions for how I can do this with a trip to my hardware store? Will I need any other parts that would go on or around the area where the cable enters the box?

You will also notice that there is no spring in my pedal box. I read in another thread somewhere that if I replace the spring, use one that's about 2.5 to 3 inches. Anything else here that I should be aware of?

This pedal is clearly a mess. What else can you see that I need to change? For instance, the way the ground wire is done seems pretty finicky, is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

pianotuner steveo

It is odd looking. For one thing, the spring appears to be missing. As for the cable 'clamp', if that works ok, there's no real need to change that piece.
I don't understand the extra part on the top of the pedal.

The spring should be readily available at the hardware store. It pulls the pedal back up when you press it down.

The ground wire aways looks flimsy in the pedals.

I would buy a bike derailleur cable and feed it through the housing, and get a spring. See how that works for a while.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

juniornoodle

Thanks for the reply. The clamp on mine seems to be effectively on the outside of the box. That has to go, along with whatever piece is inside the box where the clamp normally is. This rigged up system is causing a lot of friction because the actual inner cable is rubbing against the hull of that mystery piece that it passes through, making the pedal pretty useless and slow.

So I either buy a cable clamp from Vintage Vibe or look into another option that will accomplish the same thing. Maybe I'll investigate at the hardware store what piece or pieces of hardware could do this without ordering and waiting for a $15 clamp. Again, any recommendations or ideas are more than welcome.

Steveo, why do you suggest replacing the cable?

pianotuner steveo

The cable looks old and frayed. Since you are fixing it up, a $4 bike cable won't hurt. ( Do not buy brake cable)

Are you saying that the upper barrel clamp thing that attaches directly under the piano is missing?

You can attach an L bracket to the piano with the leg hanging driven directly next to the cable, then clamp the Cable sheath to that piece if that is what you need.

1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

juniornoodle

QuoteAre you saying that the upper barrel clamp thing that attaches directly under the piano is missing?

As always, thanks for the responses. No, I'm saying that the clamp that's normally inside the pedal box is not present in my pedal. This thing: https://www.vintagevibe.com/shop/wurlitzer-sustain-pedal-box-clamp/ If you look at the images I posted in the original post, I think you'll notice it's missing.

I've been quite busy the past couple days so I haven't looked, but I bet there's something I can pick up that does the job of this piece just as well without mail ordering for something.

pianotuner steveo

You should be able to use some sort of hardware store clamp that will do the same thing for just a few dollars.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...