News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Pink Floyd -- Sheep

Started by Student Rhodes, November 04, 2014, 02:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Student Rhodes

I just listened to "Sheep" for the first time in probably 25 years, which goes back to long before I started playing the Rhodes.   

My understanding is that this cut is considered by some to be a classic track for Rhodes sounds.  However, I have to say, I wasn't that impressed by what I heard. 

Part of that may have been the overall recording quality which seems to have less air and presence than other Pink Floyd recordings, particularly 'Dark Side...'.  Instead, this whole album seems rather squashed sounding and flat to me. 

The Rhodes on "Sheep" sounds sort of like a suitcase, but the stereo trem isn't very spread out in the mix and seems set too fast and shallow to take advantage of the Peterson's spatial offerings. It almost sounds like a mono signal that had effects applied to it to simulate stereo. 

Sounds Mk II-ish to me, with a tighter, stiffer quality to the tines. Anyone know any details about the role of the Rhodes in this track willing to share info and save me a Google search?  What model, year, did they use the Peterson, or add the vibrato in post?  etc?   

Ray

pianotuner steveo

I can't answer your specific questions, but keep in mind that a Rhodes IS a mono instrument being put through a stereo effect in any situation where it sounds stereo like.

I will listen to the track later with headphones to see if I can add any info.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

ummagumma

I agree on the more spartan sound quality of Animals; even though it is one of my favourite albums, the production isn't on the same level as their other post '73 albums.

It does match the song material though: edgier and more raw sounding

I have to assume the band felt the same way, as they never did anything else in that studio they built, AFAIK?

DSOtM and WYWH were done at Abbey Road, which has stellar gear, preamps, mixing boards etc

The Wall was done in various places, but most of it in LA I believe ( with some preliminary material from Superbear in France? ) and it is one of the crown jewels of analog recording, IMO

So they built their own studio in Britannia Row, recorded Animals, and then abandoned it. Strange? maybe they had to leave England due to tax reasons etc

as for the rhodes sound, that was the recording that got me hooked, initially

seems like it has a subtle amount of echo on it, like they mixed in some room sound

although I hear more bass in the left channel, and more treble in the right. so maybe they fed it through a leslie?

hmm no I don't think it's a leslie as the stereo pan is pretty consistent