News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Maestro 612p, possible to chop?

Started by quincy_j_clomo, November 19, 2014, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quincy_j_clomo

Hey everybody. I've been reading threads on here via google search for a while, but this is my first post. Thanks in advance for taking the time!

So i found myself a Maestro 612p at a yardsale, and it's pretty rad. I love the sound, i love the feel. I would very much like to chop it, so that I can have the piano completely separate from the amp, make it somewhat portable, and feed the signal straight to a di. I opened her up only to find that unlike the Rhodes it actually has a capacitive PU system and needs voltage to operate. Also, the "PU 1/PU 2/ AUX OUT" RCA jacks on the back send out no signal, whether the amp is on or off. I've tried to find as much info as I can on the web, but I haven't really seen much.  Does anyone know a) Is it even possible to chop this piano? or b)are there resources online for getting help/advice about this? Alternatively, I'm in the Washington DC area, so if anyone knows of any music stores or techs that could help me out without charging an arm and a leg, that would be helpful too.

thanks again!

Max Brink

It's probably not worth the effort. You would have to make either a new cabinet altogether to mount the action and harp or you would have to find a way at least to close it up. Both are pretty labor intensive... And the way that the action is sitting in the original cabinet for the basic chop doesn't really make it usable on a keyboard stand given its center of gravity.

If you come across a schematic or owners manual please share! I have never found one but my searches are fairly limited so far to a google search.

If anyone needs parts for a maestro 612P I have a donor that is missing most of its cabinet but has all of the internal action parts, reeds and electronics.
Max Brink
The Chicago Electric Piano Co.

ph: (312)476-9528
e: max@chicagoelectricpiano.com

w: http://www.chicagoelectricpiano.com/
fb: http://facebook.com/electricpianoco/
tw&ig: @electricpianoco

quincy_j_clomo

Max Brink, thanks for your quick reply! I'm bummed to hear that, but seeing as I'm not really gigging out right now anyway I suppose I'll just be content with keeping it big and clunky, unless anyone else out there has a second opinion. There is a schematic stapled to the inside of the amp cabinet, i could try to scan that or take a photo if you're interested.

pianotuner steveo

This keyboard sounds familiar, but I can't picture it. Can anyone add a photo?
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

vanceinatlance

Congrats on your find Quincy! I can't help but like the Maestro!  They are no Rhodes or Wurli, but they do have their.own unique flavor. 
Ill see if I can post some of my pics of mine from my phone. I have a pic  of the schematic but I don't know if it will show well here. There is  a small  manual with minimal info. I posted the manual here a. little while back. I'll see if I can post a link to it.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=8272.msg43754#msg43754

I have yet to find any hard info linking this piano to Gibson or to the manufacturers of the similar Elepian model mfg. in Japan. Hopefully something will surface to bring some more clarity to this piano's history. 

Student Rhodes

I played one of these in a college piano class.  I always thought they were made by Hohner.

pianotuner steveo

What produces the sound? Reeds? Strings?
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

vanceinatlance

It uses reeds much like a Wurlitzer. The 612p has a reed bar and uses high voltage just like a Wurlitzer. There is a Elepian branded version that uses individual pickups,like a Rhodes, it is amplifying metal reeds instead of tines.

The one i ran across was purchased by its owner from a sale at a SF college. I do believe many of these were sold to schools.

sean

There are a number of Maestro 612p demos on youtube.  It really has a wurly-like sound.

This is a sweet one from Vance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPkEtDLiUYg

vanceinatlance

I was afraid someone might bring one of those posts up.
I never said i could play, but that never stopped me haha!

pianotuner steveo

Interesting sound, but doesn't really sound like a Wurlitzer
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

vanceinatlance

I agree, the technology of the reeds is very similar, but the sound is definitely different. I think the action of the keys may have something to do with that. I don't feel that it is as expressive as a Wurly. It has it's own character/flavor and thats why i appreciate the instrument. I would not encourage those looking for a Wurly to seek out one of these.

pianotuner steveo

But, I do like it. Too bad I've never seen one..
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

quincy_j_clomo

Yeah it's something of it's own animal. More like a Wurli than a Rhodes, but not exactly the same thing. I used to own a Fender Rhodes Mk1 73 and frankly I have a lot more fun playing this thing, although that might be partially due to my lack of real piano skills- the Maestro seems to have a smaller dynamic range and requires less force from the left hand to get it to "bark", so it's pretty neat for novices like myself.