News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

200a Fair Pricing?

Started by ImNotDedYet, April 19, 2015, 08:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImNotDedYet

I've currently got a 74 MK1 Stage Rhodes, but I've been exploring perhaps adding a Wurlitzer as well.  So I checked one out last week.  Based on quick glances at completed sales on ebay and the sellers' description, it appeared to be priced fairly, if not a bit cheap. ($900 USD)

So I went and gave it a quick play.  The action felt decent.  The internal amp didn't seem to work - perhaps a slight volume increase but very quiet.  Upping the volume made no difference.  There was no bark or dynamics when playing forte or not.  I've now discovered there's a couple pots that may have made a difference, but essentially it looks like either fuses blown or electronic issues with the amp.  Depressing the sustain pedal caused a good number of stuck keys, particularly higher keys.  The entire low register seemed out of tune and as if it needed some work.  I didn't even bother trying the tremelo or opening the lid because of these issues and I didn't feel it was worth the $900.  Anyways a bit more research and it appears some of these issues may be relatively quick or easy-ish fixes while others, maybe not.  Seller claims it works fine through an external amp, but I didn't have a chance to check it out with an amp to see if it got more of a normal sound.

So for all you Wurlie heads out there...is $900 really the going rate for a 200a in that kind of condition?  I don't see many Wurlitzer EP sales here locally.  I guess I was expecting it to need some work and elbow grease, but at least be in somewhat playable condition when I got it home - and this one, at least through the internal amp and speakers was not. (may be as I said with an external amp) Looking at some of the completed sales in more detail, I'm seeing there's a lot going for around that price that aren't playable - obviously there's also some that are in much better shape going for cheaper.

Thanks guys and gals!

pianotuner steveo

From what I understand, that is on the lower end of the price range these days, but on the other hand, I have never paid that much for one. I would decide fairly quickly, but look around a little ( on the Internet) first. It could possibly just be blown fuses.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

ImNotDedYet

Thx, that's what I was starting to conclude.  Might try to give it another look with an amp this time.

pianotuner steveo

I'm not sure if that will help- I've never tried connecting a non working Wurlitzer to an external amp. Remember, these are not passive like a Rhodes. The reed bar requires power, which you  seem to have, but I'm not sure what kind of audio you will get, if any...
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

4kinga

The other question would be; where are you located?

2nd what SteveO said.  You won't hear sound unless its getting power.  (I guess unless the speakers are disconnected or the phone plug is shot and open as if there were headphones plugged in when there actually aren't.  )

ImNotDedYet

Sorry, I've been in phone hell trying to get my cell replaced, set up, etc.

Anyways, I had scheduled to go back tonight with the amp and give it spin, but the guy that went at lunch today made an offer that was accepted.  I'm a big believer in things meant to be, so this obviously wasn't for me.

Oh, and  Ilive in Denver for the next time I post a question about a cheap EP.  ;)