Vintage Vibe Stereo Vibe Preamp

Started by tagirov, January 05, 2016, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tagirov

Hi.
I'm thinking of getting a custom preamp from Vintage Vibe for my Rhodes Stage Piano MKI / 1977

Is here someone who has this preamp? How stable/clean is it? Any cons|pros?

As far as I understand, I can simple install it by myself.
The only thing I don't like is a cheek block replace with DC connector.

Any another preamps you may recommend?
---
Best regards, Ruslan
[Rhodes Stage Piano MKI 1977 73]

Dan Belcher

I installed the Stereo Vibe on my '78 stage a few years ago. I had to drill a very shallow hole with a wide drill bit in the wood under the cheek block to accommodate the power supply, but even considering that, it was incredibly easy to install.

As far as look and feel, I love the fact that the faceplate matches what you'd see on a vintage suitcase Rhodes. The power supply and outputs in the cheek block aren't a big deal to me. They don't look bad, they're sturdy and stable, and they don't get in the way while still being very easily accessible. (I love having two 1/4" outputs for stereo to capture the stereo tremolo easily. And looking at the website, it appears they've added a headphone jack since I got mine!)

The sound is really fantastic. Very crisp and clear, with big amounts of boost and cut available on both the treble and bass ends. Very low noise. The tremolo has a huge range of settings for depth, stereo width, and speed. I have it set to the FET mode and never even bothered with the other setting because I loved the tone so much.
Proud owner,
1978 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73

rhodesjuzz

I own a suitcase, but if it would have been a stage model, I'd go for it.

If you buy the SUITCASE REPLACEMENT MODEL (instead of the stage) and a separate break out box, than you don't have to alter your cheek block  :)

I'm not really sure, but I think it is something like this:
http://www.vintagevibe.com/collections/fender-rhodes-parts/products/4-pin-rhodes-external-power-supply?variant=899488063
1976 Rhodes Suitcase 73 <effects loop || EHX Holy Grail Nano>
Line 6 midi keys
Scarbee Mark I, A-200 and Classic EP-88S

tagirov

Thanks!
One more question.
Does it still have passive lo-z output? As far as i can see, it doesn't.
Shall I use FX LOOP OUT jack as passive output?
---
Best regards, Ruslan
[Rhodes Stage Piano MKI 1977 73]

rhodesjuzz

I'm not really a electronic tech guy, but as far as I know the only passive/hi z output is straight from the harp and can indeed be derived from the fx loop out (normally nr 1, just like a stage model). The signal that goes to your break out box or final amp has the lower impendance.

There must be a load of members out here who have more knowledge about this matter. Good luck!!
1976 Rhodes Suitcase 73 <effects loop || EHX Holy Grail Nano>
Line 6 midi keys
Scarbee Mark I, A-200 and Classic EP-88S

pnoboy

Quote from: tagirov on January 06, 2016, 12:33:57 PM
Thanks!
One more question.
Does it still have passive lo-z output? As far as i can see, it doesn't.
Shall I use FX LOOP OUT jack as passive output?

I think a passive lo-z output is an oxymoron.  The output impedance of the harp can only be lowered via active circuitry of via a step-down transformer.  The latter would also lower the voltage from the harp, as well as being expensive--it would solve a nonexistent problem.