News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Wulitzer 210 classroom model

Started by Profgalen, December 08, 2016, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profgalen

I recently acquired this Wulitzer 210. It plays fine but the Tremolo doesn't work. The amp and speakers sound good. I was wondering if I could run a line out from the headphone jack to an amp or a house PA? I have a Poly-Tone Mini-Brute I think would sound good. Any Idea as to the year of manufacture? Could someone give me an Idea as to what the going price for these are on eBay or Reeverb.com?

DocWurly

Don't run it from the headphone jack--it's powered so it will be noisy and distorted if you plug it into a house PA.  There is an aux output.  If I'm remembering correctly, it will be on the opposite end of the underside from the headphone jack.

The 210 isn't a "classroom model."  It's a non-classroom console-- the 200A-era equivalent of a 203.  They are really cool!  Looks like this one is in great shape, cosmetically.  Score.

The vibrato should be easy enough to fix.  It might even be a loose wire on the little preamp on the reed bar.

I'd love to know of any date stamps inside this baby!  When you lift the lid, look for a stamp on the right rear main rail, behind the damper rails.  I'm going to guess you'll find this is from around early 1976.

Profgalen

Thanks for the info. I'll look for that date. It sounds fantastic. the only line out I can find is underneath on the left. I'll look again.
I assume it has 4 speakers. two facing out and two facing in. I'll take a look at the tremolo but I'm not familiar with Pianos. I do know a little about amps. When I  turn the trem up there is a slight drop in volume. I'm not to concerned as I have an old Dunlop (big purple thing) Tremolo Pedal that works fine and splits the signal to stereo. However that can only be used with a line out. Any Idea What these sell for. This ones not for sale but I would like to know.

DocWurly

You can open the lid by taking off the two knobs (they will slide right off), then removing the two screws above (they may be holding a music stand) and the three long screws under the front lip of the keys.

Do check the right lower edge for the Aux out.  I'm pretty sure you will find it there.

Profgalen

No aux out. However if I keep the volume low the headphone out works ok into a Fishman Loudbox Acoustic amp.

DocWurly

I don't believe it.  Keep looking.  THere is an aux out somewhere.  Is there a hole on the R side (bottom) where there should be a jack, but isn't?

If you open it up, take pictures.

Profgalen

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I keep the piano in my air conditioned storage unit. Here are some pictures. As you can see ther is no line out jack. There are two small holes on the underside but these would be to small to fit a 1/4" female jack. I took off the lower inside baffleboard to check out the speakers. 22.5 Ohms? They seem to be in good shape. Any idea who made them? I opened the top and removed the aluminum plate. I took pictures of any numbers I could find. I hope this helps in dating it. I also took some pics of the damage to the particulboard on the bottom. Also some damage to the Naugahyde. Not to bad but I wouldn't want it to get any worse. All in all it's in pretty good shape. It plays fantastic except for the Tremolo. Nothing else sounds like a Wulitzer.

DocWurly

The date stamp we are looking for is on the WOOD, most likely upside down, on the back treble corner, behind the damper arm rods.  (see photo for example.)

Wow.  It sure does look like yours has no aux out!!  Can you take photos from the left side, gradually to the amp, and show as much of the amp, intact, as possible?

Also, if you will, take a photo of the headphone jack from the underside.

210 models always say "214" on them, as they are more or less repackaged 214A's.  They have an Aux/line-level output, even if they aren't wired up to a jack.

DocWurly

I think the transformer line that says "606-5-21"  means "Woodward-Schumacher, 21st week of 1975."

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm#xfmr

But a wood date stamp will give you a much more accurate read, probably a few months later than that.

DocWurly

OK.  So you win.  No Aux out.  That is interesting data.

This amp board is assembly 203721, which is the same as the 214A and 214VA amp board.  (In the standard Wurly manual, it's on page 72.)

On a 214A, there is a plate under the keys, and that's where you'd find the Aux output.

Look on the amp board for a wire that goes grounds to terminal 12 and has an inner wire going to terminal 11.  If it's there.... that's the Aux output.  If it isn't there.... that's where you would wire it in.

I'm including a picture of both the missing aux plate, and of the schematic showing the red wire that would go to 11 and 12.

vanceinatlance

FWIW, I also had a 210 with no aux out. Never took a pic of the date stamp, but got one of the serial plate. Should not have let it go, sounded amazing!

Profgalen

Quote from: vanceinatlance on December 12, 2016, 11:08:50 PM
FWIW, I also had a 210 with no aux out. Never took a pic of the date stamp, but got one of the serial plate. Should not have let it go, sounded amazing!
Your S/N is only 61 before mine. Any idea what year yours was made?

vanceinatlance

No I don't know what year it was and I was not aware at the time where/how to find the date stamp. I aquired it with a non functioning amp. The mechanics of it played beautifully, so I never looked at the insides much beyond the amp. I'll brows my pictures, but I doubt if I find anything. I would assume it was the same year as yours being so close in serial numbers.