News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Converting a Wurlitzer (200 series) from 117V (60 hz) to 230V (50hz)

Started by beginnersluke, March 17, 2017, 01:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beginnersluke

Has anyone done this?

I'm assuming it's as simple as switching out the transformer. Right?

(The label on the bottom says 50hz so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming there's just a rectifier right after the transformer anyway, so it shouldn't matter.)

I just wanted to ask and make sure there wasn't some other issue making this complex that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks,

Luke

Redlab

If you have done it, please share your experience.
I'm a bit uncertain what wires goes where  :-\
Wurlitzer 200A 1974? ( Serial 100241 )
Wurlitzer 200  1964? ( Serial 55129 )
Rhodes 73 Mark II 1983
Steinway O 1922

Redlab

I got the explanation from EP-Service : Red on red, blue on blue yellow stripe on yellow. I though realised that the screw holes on the Wurli don't match those on the new transformer and the wires for the power is too short and have to be extended. So there is a little to do there. I haven't connected it yet, so I have no idea if the fuse will blow.
Rhodes 73 Mark II 1983
Steinway O 1922

beginnersluke

Let us know how it goes.

One thing I was wondering about was the little power light. I think that runs on A/C (though you could pretty easily convert it). I don't know the specs of the light.

I expect that you'll have no problems though.

Redlab

I have connected the new transformer and is going to connect the power but my Wurly came without a power cable so I'm really unsure what wires is phase and what is Null. I can see the Grund but apart from that nothing.

But my worry is also that there is more to do. some rewiring other fuses etc.
Rhodes 73 Mark II 1983
Steinway O 1922

beginnersluke

As long as you've wired the transformer correctly, that your hot and neutral should be correct. It's a standard cable, so unless those wires were somehow mixed up, it will be right. Of course, if you want to double check, you could do so with an ohmmeter/multimeter.

Sorry, I see that you said that you don't have the power cable. How were you planning on connecting it? You can replace it with a standard computer A/C plug/receptacle. That might be your easiest bet. You could double check with your supplier (since they gave you wiring help already) to determine which is the neutral and which is the hot/live. (Or just look at any documentation supplied with the transformer.) Once you know that, you can work your way back to make sure you connect the prongs correctly.

Generally, the hot/neutral don't matter on the transformer itself, but depending on what else the AC connects to (like the light), it's not a bad idea to trace it correctly.

Does that make sense?

Redlab

Thanks for the help.
Everything works! Appart from some white noise and a dangerous smell of hot electronics, that I can't identify. 
I mounted a standard femal power plug and took a cable from an old PC. It took a little work to extend the hole. But not a big issue.
Rhodes 73 Mark II 1983
Steinway O 1922