News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Last 4 Mid Dampers E5-G5

Started by GaryRhodes, May 15, 2017, 01:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryRhodes

Having real trouble with damping the last 4 notes in the mid damper section. E5 to G5. The damper arms at that point becomes cut away more, so less stiff whilst still retaining the mid dampers until G# where they become treble dampers.

I have straightened all of the damper arms in that module. Even adjusted once torqued at the base after mounting. New bridle straps, damper felts, grommets. All I can do now is tighten the reed up in the tonebar, maybe add a bass spring or a second lighter spring to the mid springs fitted.

Bridle straps are new, not tight at rest with similar slack too rest of the piano.

I do notice slight resonance when I have my finger on the front (closest to keys) when it's struck, that isn't there in the Eb next to it.

It's almost like I still need the stiffer damper arms in the mid to run another four notes.

What do you guys think?

pianotuner steveo

How is the condition of the felts themselves? Have they been replaced?
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

GaryRhodes

Literally brand new, VV brand. Tried tightening tine block to tonebar but no difference. Truly bizarre given notes below and above those mentioned are fine. Damper felts all at the same height, even applied extra torsion at the base but it seems related to the front (damper felt) end. Literally nothing else i can try aside from different felt manufacturer.

I see no reason why those 4 shouldn't dampen as well as the others

Ben Bove

What is the behavior of the 4 that don't dampen well - when you release the note, do you see the damper felt vibrate rapidly as the tine comes to a stop?  As in the felt sort of continuously bounces off the tine as it tries to stop it?

Or is the damper arm pretty stable on release?
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

passerine

Bridle strap tension could be too loose.

GaryRhodes

The damper felt doesn't vibrate unless it's something only a high speed camera could see. I can't see it being the bridle straps, I prestretched them and used the guide on the hammer to set the length. Should I try increasing the tension of the bridle strap?

pianotuner steveo

What if you lower the tines a little without changing the timbre? If they still work properly, that may be a way to fix this. ( it will cause the felt to press against the tines more)
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

GaryRhodes

I could do that Steve, I currently have all my tine bars set at 3/8. How far beyond the 3/8 is practical?

I'm even tempted actually to pull out the hammer comb an octave up and drop that in to see if it is bridle issue. I have spare felts and for the purpose of the test would not matter if I was striking them with wood core tips.

I have added more torsion but go too crazy and the damper rail actually fouls the back of the damper arm where the curve is more acute. I'm not sure if dampers can just wear out over time and constant manipulation. They certainly don't have the torsion of the lower octave damper module but then again they shouldn't with the cut away being longer? They have more vibration when just plucking them with the finger.

Really could do with Vintage Vibe releasing those long awaited damper modules....

Tim Hodges

Quote from: GaryRhodes on May 19, 2017, 02:23:35 AM
Really could do with Vintage Vibe releasing those long awaited damper modules....

I'm waiting for this too!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

pianotuner steveo

Well, I always say try the easiest thing first...lowering the tines would certainly be easy to do and easy to reverse. I would lower them to a point where escapement still works/ just before the hammers start to block. This should cause the dampers to work better.  I know it's apples and oranges, but this sometimes happens in upright pianos and pushing the dampers (the whole action really) closer to the strings can help.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...