Author Topic: Buyer Beware-Craigslist London-1967 Prototype Rhodes Suitcase 73 Silver Sparklet  (Read 175 times)

Offline Prismtone Studios

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
https://london.craigslist.co.uk/msd/6127598748.html

Beware if you see this 1967 "Prototype" Rhodes for sale. I recognize this unit and am pretty sure it's a scam. I asked the seller about it and he says it was his uncles. All the photos are old photos from about 6-7 years ago, prior owner. I asked for provenance and more recent photos and haven't heard back since...

Anyways, beware if you see this unit for sale.

Offline tjh392

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I've asked for more photos to see if they do have it in their possession, I remember this one well.

Here's the original post about it:

1967 Prototype Fender Rhodes For Sale

Here are the original photos from the eBay listing:

https://mmguitarbar.com/2012/08/22/1967-prototype-fender-rhodes-suitcasestage-piano/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:07:26 AM by tjh392 »
Rhodes Stage 73 1975 with Satellite System, Wurlitzer 200a 1976, Hohner String Performer

Offline tjh392

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Yep sounds dodgy, he keeps sending me original eBay photos.

Quote from: Me
Hi,

I'm interested, do you have any photos of the inside?

Thanks

Quote from: Seller
Hello,
The piano is still for sale.
I'm located in Lancaster at my uncle's place .He recently passed away and I have to sell his belongings.
Give me your address so I can calculate the shipping fees.

Would it be possible to collect it instead?

Hello,
I prefer to ship it because I'm very busy.
I send you more pictures.
Best Regards

I've asked for his phone number and re-iterated that as it's quite a rare piece it's probably best to collect it. When he refuses I'll go and mark it as a scam.

Tim
Rhodes Stage 73 1975 with Satellite System, Wurlitzer 200a 1976, Hohner String Performer

Offline Prismtone Studios

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Yep sounds dodgy, he keeps sending me original eBay photos.

Hi,

I'm interested, do you have any photos of the inside?

Thanks

Hello,
The piano is still for sale.
I'm located in Lancaster at my uncle's place .He recently passed away and I have to sell his belongings.
Give me your address so I can calculate the shipping fees.

Would it be possible to collect it instead?

Hello,
I prefer to ship it because I'm very busy.
I send you more pictures.
Best Regards

I've asked for his phone number and re-iterated that as it's quite a rare piece it's probably best to collect it. When he refuses I'll go and mark it as a scam.
Tim

I had almost the exact same conversation... almost verbatim. I actually called the former owner to see if he could verify who owns the unit but he had no recollection. So I dug into the "seller"  by telling him to send real updated pictures, not old pics, and telling him that I'm very interested in the history of Rhodes and recognized the piano... Never heard back. Total scammer. I bet it's the same guy who was fake selling an ARP 2600 for $1500 a few years back, same area etc.

Offline tjh392

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I just hope no one falls for it. If you can try marking it as a scam so it can be flagged and removed.

In the end he never returned my request, definitely not genuine.