Author Topic: Refinishing a Name Rail  (Read 89 times)

Offline pizzyflavin

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Refinishing a Name Rail
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm fixing up the name rail (and everything else) on my '77 MkI Stage. Initially I was just going to bead blast it, which I did, but the results were not consistent enough for me. Looked great in most spots, but I guess my technique isn't great because there were certain areas that had a different appearance. Anyway, I remembered seeing this thread: http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=5988.0 where sunrunner painted his '77 MkI name rail, and decided to take the same route.

Here are some "before pictures" of the name rail:

And here it is during and after the bead blast process:

I went with VHT self-etch primer and Seymour Alumi-Blast paint. With the fresh bead blasting finish, I applied several light coats of primer and allowed it to dry overnight. (Bad low-light photo below)

Here it is painted with about four or five coats of the Seymour Alumi-Blast:

I'm pretty satisfied with the results, the rail looks great. Very close to the actual bead blasted finish. The question now is whether I need to put on a clear coat of some kind to protect the finish. Anyone here have experience or opinions on this matter?

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Re: Refinishing a Name Rail
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
If it's just paint with no protective coating, I would hit it with a coat of clear.  Over time, it will get nicks and scratches just from general use, and you'd hate to have to touch it up.

They have matte-finish clear coat, so that it doesn't add any unneeded shine... which might look more original but still have some protective durability.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline pnoboy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Refinishing a Name Rail
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »
If it's just paint with no protective coating, I would hit it with a coat of clear.  Over time, it will get nicks and scratches just from general use, and you'd hate to have to touch it up.

They have matte-finish clear coat, so that it doesn't add any unneeded shine... which might look more original but still have some protective durability.

The name rail is clear anodized, which means it is quite hard, and impermeable to ordinary detergents or solvents.  The bead blasting may well remove the anodizing.  Before doing anything like that I would try a good, strong detergent, like dish-washing liquid and a plastic-bristled scrub brush, followed by a rinse in the sink.  If any discolorations were left, I'd try a solvent such as alcohol and/or mineral spirits.  The bad thing about paint is that it is very soft in comparison to anodize, and although a painted name rail may look great just after painting, its beauty may not last long.