Author Topic: Brand new (well new to me) Wurli 206a  (Read 133 times)

Offline nashvilletallent

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Brand new (well new to me) Wurli 206a
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
Hey guys, I just bought a student model 206a, and am doing a partial chop conversion so it's easier to gig with. I've got a couple questions ya'll can probably answer.

First, I ordered an AC replacement receptacle from Vintage Vibe, am I correct in assuming that I just need to cut the existing chord, connect the 3 power wires to it and now it's EIC chord compatible?

And second, is there a soft-case that fits? I saw the Ken Rich case but it notes specifically for 200 and 200A only. How far off are the 206a dimensions? Would it fit in that case? I'm getting the top painted so it's primarily to protect that.

Thanks for the help! Sure I will have more questions as I go.

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Brand new (well new to me) Wurli 206a
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »
Hi, I'm not really sure what you are asking about the cord. Inside the piano the black,(hot) white (neutral) and green (ground) wires go to the strange connector on the back. (unless someone modified it)  Are you installing an IEC connector somewhere? Those would be the wires to cut and connect to the Jack. It's far easier to hard wire a cord rather than install a Jack, but it can be done.

The top (piano) section is exactly the same size as a 200 or 200A.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:49:22 AM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...

Offline nashvilletallent

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:12:14 PM »
Basically this is what I'm dealing with. He mounted the chord to the stand so I unscrewed that but now I've got this chord dangling free everytime I gig with it.

Offline tjh392

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »
That looks nice and safe.  ;)

From your first post, yes if you drill out space for an IEC socket at the back and shorten the green, white and black wires from the piano and solder them to the socket it will now be compatible for use with an IEC cable. (Make Sure you don't mix them)

That way you can ditch that black junction box and that brown cable.

Look at Vintage Vibe's video below at 26 seconds

Wurlitzer Student Model Conversion Video (Preview)

Rhodes Stage 73 1975 with Satellite System, Wurlitzer 200a 1976, Hohner String Performer

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:42:32 AM »
The brown cable and black connector should have been removed before. They are totally unnecessary! That looks like a fire waiting to happen. You also can get a shock on the exterior if you touch the black connector.. Drilling a hole to install a socket in the piano is risky because you may accidentally hit the action with the drill. If you must have a socket, be super careful. There is very little room for a Jack so placement is critical. Do not do this if you are not 100% sure which wire goes where!

I just watched that VV video. For some reason the installer didn't shorten the wires, which can easily get caught in the action on the first couple of keys. He also did not show which wire goes to which pin.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:47:14 AM by pianotuner steveo »
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...

Offline tjh392

• Mark I
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »
The brown cable and black connector should have been removed before. They are totally unnecessary! That looks like a fire waiting to happen. Drilling a hole to install a socket in the piano is risky because you may accidentally hit the action with the drill. If you must have a socket, be super careful. There is very little room for a Jack so placement is critical. Do not do this if you are not 100% sure which wire goes where!

I would suggest removing the action from the case. Saves you a lot of grief and prevents splinters from going in to the action. If you're not sure how it's done there should be a guide around here.

Turn it off (figure I best just say it just in case if there's someone who doesn't!)

Basically remove the amp rail first, then remove the 4 main screws which then hold the action down to the case (one near the back left, front left, back right and front right) all of this is accessible with the lid off.

Then you'll need to remove the 2 dampers, and just to the right of the centre there is a wood screw right down at the bottom of the case which holds the centre down (nicely hidden away) you'll need a long screwdriver to get to it and then it will come out.

I'd also use a pilot hole to help with position of the socket, as Steveo says there isn't much room for error.

I just watched that VV video. For some reason the installer didn't shorten the wires, which can easily get caught in the action on the first couple of keys. He also did not show which wire goes to which pin.

Yes, I'd shorten the wire too.

Here's an image to help with the wiring:

Black is "live (hot)"
White is "neutral (return)"
Green is "earth (ground)"

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:56:19 AM by tjh392 »
Rhodes Stage 73 1975 with Satellite System, Wurlitzer 200a 1976, Hohner String Performer

Offline Paleophone

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 08:06:23 AM »
Hey guys, I just bought a student model 206a, and am doing a partial chop conversion so it's easier to gig with.
And second, is there a soft-case that fits? I saw the Ken Rich case but it notes specifically for 200 and 200A only. How far off are the 206a dimensions? Would it fit in that case? I'm getting the top painted so it's primarily to protect that.

Thanks for the help! Sure I will have more questions as I go.

I believe the top has the exact same dimensions.  Don't trash the bottom!!  They are cool and that big speaker sounds great.  I'm assuming "partial chop" means you'll be able to put it on the bottom when you aren't gigging.