News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Replacing bushings in a Clavinet C: Removing keys?

Started by DocWurly, August 28, 2017, 10:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWurly

I've had a Clavinet C for a gazillion years.  I love the thing.  Long ago I replaced the gooey orange hammer tips with tips bought from clavinet.com, and it's worked great ever since.

The keys are starting to stick.  I realize the rubber bushings are rotting.

So, I have two questions:

1) Are these bushings the same as those found in D6s?  Can I use the same replacements?
2) On evidence of DIY videos I am finding, it appears that the keys are different than those found on the later Clavinets.  Can they be removed, to access the bushings?  If so, how?

mvanmanen

A friend of mine replaced the brushings on his clavinet C. He used the bushings from vintage vibe. It sounded like a bit of a headache to get the right angle to remove the springs to remove the keys, and then a bigger headache to get the springs back on because of the metal supporting the key frame. He ended up using some dental tools.  :o

Perhaps there is an easier way?

Removing springs/keys from D6s is of course super easy with a small flat-headed screwdriver.
Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3

Ben Bove

The bushings from Vintage Vibe will work on the Clav C.  Removing the keys is quite similar, the only difference is that there is a gold-colored bearing that the key locks into.  Removal is easy using a flat head screwdriver to pry the back shaft of the key up.  It slides in and out of those bearing channels.

Look up "hook and pick set" for the tools on getting the springs back on, they're inexpensive and precise.

As a note, your old key bushings may be squished down, so when you put new bushings in, it may affect the key height / down stroke.  Just something to watch for.  Vintage Vibe I believe also has videos on adjusting the keybed of a Clavinet, which should translate to the C.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet