Author Topic: Mk1 Case Lid  (Read 144 times)

Offline vintagekeys1975

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Mk1 Case Lid
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Hi friends

I am aware that this is an frequently discussed issue on the forum and I have managed to glean alot of information through searches on here which has been invaluable to me.

My 1977 Stage 73 came without a cabinet lid and as I am able to make things out of wood and cover them in tolex I thought I would build a replica for it. I recently scored a leg compartment lid with the straps and hinges from ebay so this has reminded me to get on with this project.

What I would like to know is how the wood is joined. Firstly how do the corners mate together ie are they dovetailed together or just glued and screwed and secondly I read somewhere that the lid is sunk into the top - is this true or is it just nailed and glued on?

Any information would be gladly accepted!

Best
Dave
Mk I Rhodes Stage 73 (1977) With VV Stereovibe
Hammond B3 + Leslie
Farfisa Compact Duo

Offline Bassics101

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Mk1 Case Lid
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »
Hi Dave, I can’t help directly, but as I was curious to know how they were built, I did a general google search with words “fender rhodes no tolex  wood”, no quotes, and then selected images.  I think you’ll find a few of images of lids with tolex stripped that may help you out. It looks to me like they are just glued and screwed together, but I didn’t look all that closely.  Hope some of the images help. Sounds like a fun project. 

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:19:31 AM »
Hey Dave,
If you're going to cover the lid in tolex, and since you have the ability to "make things out of wood", I would make the strongest joint I could, regardless of what ever Fender did.  I've seen so many piano shells split and failing.  The truth is, whatever Fender did, wasn't enough.  I'm pretty sure they were not dove tailed, which seems to me to be a stronger way to fab the shell. 
That said, if you're not going to be throwing this piano into the back of your van on a nightly basis, then you could probably get away with whatever joint Fender actually used.  The truth is, most case lids sit in a garage, taking up space.  Mine haven't been on my pianos since I got them back from being re-telexed.  They're just hidden away in the garage.
Best,
Ray
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:22:18 AM by Student Rhodes »

Offline bourniplus

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:27:57 AM »
Hi Dave,
I can't tell, since my MkI didn't come with a case lid.

Maybe you could dovetail the four sides together, and glue/screw that to the top part?
Martin
Mark I - Mark V
Clavinet model C
My electric square piano prototype

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
The cabinet sides are connected to each other with lap joints which are glued. The top is glued and stapled to the sides.
Here is an exploded view of a cabinet bottom that hopefully illustrates this.

I've modeled several cabinet parts in SketcUp.
http://www.shadetreekeys.com/ShopChart/items.php?description_filter=cabinet&models=1
Here's a 1973 Mark I cabinet top
http://www.shadetreekeys.com/32766/Models/UpperSplitSideCabinetHalf32766.skp
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline vintagekeys1975

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
Hi folks

Thanks much for the information and insight, especially David. This is a real help and just what I need. I will tool up with some new router bits and start rounding up some off cuts of plywood.

Best
Dave
Mk I Rhodes Stage 73 (1977) With VV Stereovibe
Hammond B3 + Leslie
Farfisa Compact Duo

Offline pnoboy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
I you really want to do a superior job, use finger jointing.  If you have the appropriate jig, it's not difficult.