News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Warneck vs. Vintage Vibe 200A replacement amps

Started by Nathan Seder, February 08, 2019, 06:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Seder

I am thinking about replacing the amp in my 200a, and am wondering about the differences in sound between the warneck and vintage vibe models. They both seem like quality, well made products, from what I gather, and I'm not so interested in starting up an argument about which one is better...it seems that's been discussed a bunch already in places on this forum. I am curious about the differences in how they sound, though...I've listened to what samples I can find, but it really is tough to tell from recordings sometimes, and then there's always variations in the way they were miked and processed etc. Any thoughts from folks who have experience with these amps?

Thanks,
Nathan

DoctorTeeth

I have some experience with the retrolinear amp in a 200a. The wurli our tour carries has one in it along with the variable depth knob add on. I will say that its a fantastic sounding wurli that gets all the classic tones youd expect it to and then some with the depth adjustment. This particular wurl was purchased from Nashville Pro Hammond and had been gone through by Murph. Aside from replacing the aux out jack at one point on the road Ive never had a problem with it, mechanically or electrically, although at our front of house guy's request I run a hum eliminator (isolated transformer) inline from the aux out to the DI to clean up the signal a little before it hits the subboxes and further...

The vv amp is outside of my own personal experience, but from what ive read it has more of the "angry wurli" sound, or a more driven tone, basically that they break up a little sooner. 

That being said I ordered the ep200+reed shields from Murph for my own 200 Ive been working on overhauling, if its anything like the 200a board they make Im sure it will be great.

Nathan Seder

Thanks for your response...it does sound like the Retrolinear is held in high esteem. That may be the way to go...

Jtrunzo7743

Like the doctor said. The Vintage vibe is a little more driven sonically. The two amps are also different circuits. The vintage vibe being closer to the original design than the warneck. I've installed quite a few vintage vibe ones and been very happy with them. I may try a warneck soon.