News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Best solution to remove Rhodes hammer cam felt?

Started by JamieOxford, January 07, 2019, 05:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieOxford

I'm restoring my Rhodes and need to remove the hammer cam felts to do the 'miracle mod'.
I was going to leave them on and just apply the bumps but a few are quite worn!

I have available - lighter fluid and methylated spirit. I have a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, but not sure where I can buy more locally.

Supposedly denatured alcohol is the best thing to use, is that the same as methylated spirit in the UK?
Thanks!

Tim Hodges

Yep you want to use methylated spirits over in the UK (the purple liquid at the hardware stores) it helps to break down the glue without damaging the hammer. After I've finished rubbing off the felt i like to give the hammers a clean in some soapy water to remove any grime and residue.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

fugo

I'm getting ready to do this on my '75 Stage using denatured alcohol.  Stupid question I can't seem find the answer to looking through the forum or in the VV video:  In the VV video, it looks like the entire action is flipped over on the bench.  Have the damper modules and bridle straps been detached prior to flipping over the action to work on the felts? Or do you remove damper modules/bridle straps first, and then flip over to remove the hammer cam felts? Or do something different?

Tim Hodges

You can leave them on if you want but I always remove the hammer combs so I can check for any cracks / give it a proper clean.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com