News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Brian Auger Chords

Started by pcmancini, March 07, 2011, 07:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcmancini

Anyone know the two basic chords for Brian Auger's Happiness Is Just Around the Bend?

And if you have it the chorus as well.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Paul
1975 Mark 1

Cormac Long

Had a quick listen to it on Youtube.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZPYkTeIF0w

I'm at work so I am limited in time and its not easy to start/stop/pause it etc. Without sitting at a piano I can't be sure that these are accurate. However I'm going to get the album now cause it sounds great!

I generally start with the left doing the bass and right on the main chord and then try to better blend the two after I fine-tune the arrangement.

So.. the intro chords as my rusty ear advises.

(left) (right)

(F) (Bb Eb G)
(F) (A D* F)  ... * there's a little Db/D accent here. There could also be a C in this chord but I'm not 100% sure.
(F) (Bb Eb G)
(F) (C F A)

Then the main song verse section when the Rhodes is improvising... its essentially 2 chords and variations of same

Cm7/F .. (F) (Bb C Eb G)
F7 9       (F) (A C Eb G)

The chorus section, where some kind of synth layers in is a trickier beast.  I bet I'm off here but I think the following is on the right track.

(C)  (E G C)
(C)  (Eb G Bb)
(F)  (Bb C Eb G)
(D)  (F C D F)
(F)  (Bb C Eb)
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

pcmancini

Thanks so much, I will give this a try.  The album is called CLOSER TO IT  and came out in 1973.  The current release has 2 versions of "Happiness" both of which are tremendous!  (You can get both on iTunes as well)

One of the better Rhodes jams out there IMHO.

Regards,
Paul
Paul
1975 Mark 1

Cormac Long

I got it this morning on iTunes. Its being sold as a combination of two albums. Closer to It and Straight Ahead. Both are excellent I have to say. A nice combination of hammond and Rhodes and a healthy funky early 70's feel to a lot of the tracks. What more can you want!
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

pcmancini

Thanks again.  One quick question (and maybe a dumb one but) what exactly doe "Ee" mean in your chord voicings?

Regards,
Paul
Paul
1975 Mark 1

Cormac Long

Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

pcmancini

ahh thanks..it all makes sense now.  if I had been at my Rhodes I probably would have figured it out.  I guess I thought it was some kind of weird ghost note.

Once again I appreciate it and can't wait to get playin' tonight!

Paul
Paul
1975 Mark 1

Rhodesman88

To Dresdner353

How about puting the words out wuith the chord changes in.

I'm still trying to figure out the lead-in chords.  Getting old and my hearing isn't what it once was.  Also, Anyone hve the chords to "Compaired to What" off the same album.  I want to learn that catchy riff that leads into the vocals.

Rob

cfgjazzman

Check out attached. Most sites have the lyrics messed up. This is correct.
Also pay attention to voicings... I notated a few on the chart on staffs.
Brian uses a lot of 2nd and third inversions to get a scaler or chromatic harmonic motion.

peace,,,

Neil Gillespie

ummagumma

Thanks for posting that, "closer to it" is one of my desert island LP's: full of great songs & a great recording too

I finally got to see Brian Auger play, a couple years ago. Fantastic! Legend

Even got a chuckle when I accused him of using his ipad for everything, and just hauling the Hammond around for show