News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Signal too hot for pedals

Started by EauClaireGuy, April 11, 2018, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EauClaireGuy

Hey guys!

I read somewhere(can't remember where) online that wurlys signal is too hot for guitar effects pedals and that it will burn them out.
Whats the truth to this? How can you correct it?

Thanks!

cinnanon

Just use the Aux out and not the Headphone out

jam88

Neither my 120 or my 206 chop have an aux out. I play them out of the piano amp into a DI box, either a ProCo CB-1 or ART ZDirect 1 ($29 of brilliance!) Knocks the signal down for pedals/amp or directly into the board.

120, 206 Chop, Baldwin, Gulbransen, Nord & Yamaha digitals, Antigua Strat, Selmer Mk VI, 10M Naked Lady, etc...

cinnanon

Your 206 chop needs only a few components for aux out. All you need is like 2 resistors, shielded cable, and a 1/4" jack of course. The 206A is a different story.

funkylaundry

A little late reply, but I have quite a bit of experience with FX pedals on Wurlitzer.

Generally you should avoid the headphone output - mostly because I think it tends to be more noisy - but there should not really be any risk to your pedals. The output from aux will be close to line level. Some pedals react well to line level signals - others don't. In my experience most digital pedals do allright, while things like analog wah pedals tend to distort in a very unflattering way. I also have a Cali76 compressor pedal that will be very hard to dial in with line levels because it's designed for much lower levels.

You can buy an attenuator that will "pad" down the signal by maybe 20dB. Use something like that, run it into a DI and then gain the signal again with a good mic pre.
'72 Fender Rhodes MkI Stage, '73 Wurlitzer 200, '72 Clavinet D6, '75 Hammond B-3, '71 Leslie 147, Hammond X5, Leslie 710, Nord Stage 2 73SW, Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho X4, DSI Tetra

pianotuner steveo

As far as the OP's question- no, I don't believe the signal will burn out the pedals per se, but it will distort the signal if using the headphone out with the volume turned up. The aux out is not Line level, like a CD player, but in most cases, it will work better than the headphone jack. I seem to remember the aux out is more like mic level.  There is a trim pot on the 200A for the aux out. Jam88's DI box idea is great for earlier models with no aux out.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...