News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

New Vintage Vibe Electric Pianos

Started by Chris Carroll, December 23, 2010, 11:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Carroll

This should give everyone more food for discussion- www.vintagevibeepc.com  

Moderator edit.. renamed thread, made sticky and merged two other related threads into this thread.
Vintage Vibe will do all we can to help anyone out in a fair and honest way. Call us up or email anytime.  "Love is the answer"

sean

I hope it has those cool blue hammers.

kphlx2000

Fender Rhodes Collector/Music Producer/Recording Engineer

rockstardave

A newly fabricated electric piano, or a "new" electric piano made from the parts of old pianos?  I wonder what Senor Brandstetter will say...
Rhodes, Clav, Hammond, Pianet, still waiting for my Wurly.

Cormac Long

I just checked here.. http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2011/directory .. and found the following after a search..

VINTAGE VIBE
76 Cobb Street, Rockaway, NJ 07866 USA
(917) 880-9763
www.vintagevibeepc.com
Booth# 5805 (Hall B)

.. So we'll know for sure some time between Jan 13th-15th.

FYI.. Someone else, who shall remain nameless is exhibiting at booth 5807, Hall B. Within a stone's tine's throw!..
You can download an Excel spreadsheet of all exhibitors to see for yourself.

If anyone is planning to attend and can get pictures or possibly audio/video etc during the exhibition, then get in contact with me. This event will no doubt spark a lot of interest among enthusiasts in this forum!
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

GetWithTheTines

Hi, everyone.

I hope I'm not spoiling the big unveiling, but I just found a picture gallery on flickr under "vintagevibeepc" with a "VV64" piano that looks like a Rhodes/Wurlitzer hybrid.

Let me just say that it looks *awesome*!! It looks like a Wurlitzer body with 64 keys and a Rhodes Stage pedal. It has a pre-amp with 3 knobs (presumably volume, vibrato, and tone?). The finishes are amazing, too. They have silver, red, light blue, and light green (all sparkle top), and a very elegant looking high-gloss black.

I'm not sure if this is all that they're planning to unveil. Maybe they're planning to offer a series of pimped out hybrids. In any case, you will all drool when you see the pics. I can't wait to hear it!

Take a look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagevibeepc/5304054787/in/photostream/

Chris, sorry if I'm spoiling the surprise, but I assume it's ok since your gallery is open to the public. Nice job, by the way. I'm sure it will be out of my price range, but maybe I can get a poster of one for my wall like the one I had of a Ferrari when I was 10 years old ;-)

Cormac Long

May look like a wurly shape but the key fitting image shows a tonebar harp, single damper strips pickups and more or less the same pedestal blocks. Not sure if the harp is actually using wood. It looks great and will probably also sound great!
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

pianotuner steveo

I cant wait to hear what it sounds like.

Also, I am guessing volume, speed and intensity for the knobs....

Where are you seeing interior photos dresdner353????
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

GetWithTheTines

I'm guessing he saw the Rhodes 54 that was included at the end of the series.

SWANG

are these new?  the photo date says september 2006...
1972 Mark I Stage 73 with Vintage Vibe "Stage Vibe" custom preamp

Ok, bye!!!

bumpyrhode

Just beat me to it SWANG. Maybe a little pre-dating to thwart industry espionage.

Also, the black one has Stage type controls, not Suitcase controls
like the Green, Blue, Silver and Red. I'm digging the green and red the most. Maybe because I'm
still in the Christmas mood.

Emielskey

it's a rhodes, but I think as light as possible. they even sawed away the tonebar-wood, used the lighter wurli bottom, and designed a custom cover. (and adjusted a few more things ofcourse)

I'm convinced it sounds 100% rhodes, but (much) less weight.
change

Fred

I cannot begin to tell you how excited we are to present these new pianos. Each one is a custom, hand-made-to-order masterpiece of tone, quality build, and portability. Thanks for looking! Here are some details (as of now)!

These are tine-based electric pianos, set up with the classic Early Seventies tone.

Configurations are practically endless. The "base model" piano will look like the black (passive) model pictured, but in a matte finish plastic shell. You will be able to choose from many optional upgrades, including mono or stereo tremolo pre-amps (with built-in power supplies), high gloss solid or sparkle finishes, and 64 or 73 note keyboards.

The pianos can be ordered with any combination of options, or, the base model may be purchased and upgraded later. Our custom solid wood chassis will be pre-drilled with "delete plates" installed for easy addition of pre-amps and power supplies.

Best of all, these pianos are light. Less than one pound per note! Our 64 weighs around ten pounds lighter than a Wurlitzer 200A! 

Thanks again for checking it out, and hope to see you at NAMM 2011!
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

rockstardave

Quote from: Fred on January 03, 2011, 04:10:38 PM
   These are tine-based electric pianos, set up with the classic Early Seventies tone.

The asymmetrical tuning fork is a closely guarded design, and you guys are no dummies.... which can only mean you invented a new style of tone generator.  Right?

Don't be coy.... what's under the hood?
Rhodes, Clav, Hammond, Pianet, still waiting for my Wurly.

Cormac Long

The pictures I saw showing the harps etc have been removed.. hmm..

I was also surprised to see that the top has a slight curve.. you'd think that a curve would be a no go these days for stacking etc or is it assumed that its stacked on something else or you just don't stack at all :)

The devil will be in the sound and pricing if that is made public. But in fairness, the very best wishes with it and I sincerely hope its a roaring success.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

kphlx2000

I'm ready to buy a couple of these. Great job guys. ;)
Fender Rhodes Collector/Music Producer/Recording Engineer

Peacefrog35

I'm seriously going to want one...I just hope my bank account and wife will let me .  Looks like I may have to sell something soon to fund one of these...this will be a must have... The design/cosmetics are killer!
current gear:
1965 Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle Piano Bass
1962 Fender Rhodes white top piano bass
1966 Fender Rhodessilver sparkle piano bass
1968 Gibson G101 organ
1966 Vox 301H wood key conitnental
1968 Vox 301E Continental
1967 RMI 300A Electra-piano and Harpsichord

tylert

WoW!!  Very intuitive design.  You sold me on looks alone buy then you start talking about early 70's tone and I'm looking around my studio thinking what can I sell. When? Where? How Much?

tylert

Any chance we can get a brief description of what the action is like?

bumpyrhode

Anyone for starting a poll/pool on how much $?

My guess $2500.

GetWithTheTines

Based on what I've seen them selling restored Rhodes for on their web site, I'd be surprised if they're under $4K, especially since they're made to order.

So, Fred... When can we see you lighting one of these up on YouTube?  :)

Peacefrog35

You make a good point....these are made to order. I'm afraid it'll be a long time before I can get one... I'll have to hit the used market in a few years...or sell my gold sparkle piano bass in addition to the silver... :'(  I'm going to have to live vicariously through some of you guys.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

tylert

I'm hoping the base level (black one) will be within my reach. If they start at $4k, I might have to pass this round and see whats shakin next year. I could add a lot to my studio with that kinda money.

Fred

We will certainly have a video soon!

I will have to let Chris handle price queries, but I can say this...

We have our final weight numbers, and...

The passive base level 64 weighs in at 53lbs.

The passive base level 73 weighs only 60lbs!

For those of us who opt for the chrome legs, the leg plates will add 1.5 lbs. 
Collector
(203) 824-1528

GetWithTheTines

Wow. Is that with the cover on?

Fred

Collector
(203) 824-1528

Cormac Long

Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Peacefrog35

Wow...it weighs just a little more than a piano bass.   This has to be the sweetest ep I"ve ever seen.
current gear:
1968 Gibson G101 organ

bumpyrhode

Here it is. $2800 - $3455.

http://www.vintagevibeepc.com/pricing.html

My guess off $2500 wasn't to far off.  Knew they had to be in that range to
compete against the Mark 7. Active 73 w/o midi is $4000.

Can't wait to see NAMM pics and vids.

sean

Only a hundred bucks extra for the awesome sparkle top finishes.  That's great.  How can anybody resist?

Even the green looks so pretty.  It needs the matching green sparkle on the sustain pedal housing.

And $275 for the active preamp is a fair deal. 
I am amused at the offering of the mono-tremolo, only $75 gets you the stereo version. 
(Why no quadraphonic or 5.1 surround?)

This is amazing.  Very cool.

GetWithTheTines

Excellent! I may actually be able to get one if I sell my other pianos. I seriously had trouble sleeping last night, thinking about what configuration I want :-)

I'm curious. Does the VV piano have all new parts (keys, tines, tone bars, pickups, etc.)? I'd love to know more about what those are like. Can the tone be adjusted by moving the tine & pickup, like a Rhodes?

I'm also really anxious to know what the action is like. I'm concerned that it might be too light, like a Nord Electro, which is too much like an organ action for me. Do we have to wait until NAMM to see photos of the inside and videos of this thing in action? You're killing us.

bumpyrhode

Quote from: GetWithTheTines on January 08, 2011, 10:39:36 AM
Excellent! I may actually be able to get one if I sell my other pianos. I seriously had trouble sleeping last night, thinking about what configuration I want :-)

I'm curious. Does the VV piano have all new parts (keys, tines, tone bars, pickups, etc.)? I'd love to know more about what those are like. Can the tone be adjusted by moving the tine & pickup, like a Rhodes?

I'm also really anxious to know what the action is like. I'm concerned that it might be too light, like a Nord Electro, which is too much like an organ action for me. Do we have to wait until NAMM to see photos of the inside and videos of this thing in action? You're killing us.

GWTT - Didn't mean to cause you sleepless nights. I just saw the page was up
and figured you guys would like to know. I guess the answers to your specific
questions will have to wait until after NAMM. Next week is going to seem
like an eternity. Wouldn't it be nice if VV had a live feed from NAMM like Dean
Guitars did last year?

bumpyrhode

Here is VV's Flickr page for their new EPC. If you look at the second pic down you
can makeout what looks to be a I/O panel on the right underside. Scroll to bottom
to view additional 5 pages.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagevibeepc/

Their other Flickr pages

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagevibe/

Miguel Tuna

'79 Mk1 Suitcase

Miguel Tuna

Portugal

GetWithTheTines

I did want to know, as I'm sure others did as well, so thanks for posting it. The "you're killing us" comment was just a playful remark directed at Chris and Fred to get some more information about the new pianos. I am anxious to know more about it, but I can wait. A live feed would be fun, though :-)

bumpyrhode

Did you guys notice on th models page there is a dead link for a "44"? Are they doing
a bass model also?

Fred

We're thinking of a 44 note super-light... Could be cool, right?

...And we're off! Wish us luck!!!
Collector
(203) 824-1528

Nitrofunk

Fender Rhodes Stage 73 ('76) - Boss GE-7 - Small Stone - Boss MD500 - Boss RV-6 - Roland Cube 60 (vintage)
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88 ('74)
Wurlitzer 200a
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Prophet 10

GetWithTheTines

Very cool, Fred - especially if you can customize the range of the 44-keys for individual preference. Have fun at NAMM!

bumpyrhode

Quote from: GetWithTheTines on January 10, 2011, 05:54:24 PM
Very cool, Fred - especially if you can customize the range of the 44-keys for individual preference. Have fun at NAMM!

If the harp boards are "similar" to the Rhodes then this should be doable.
Specify your desired range then they would cut the appropriate section
from the harp board pattern. Of course the range may be dictated by
by retaining a middle C.

tylert

This is all I've ever wanted in a rhodes... sounds good, plays good, light weight, and Brand spanking NEW!!!  Does it get any better?  I'm going with the Red sparkle top 73 passive. Its about all I can afford at the moment and I've gotta have it.

Cormac Long

Any footage or sounds surface yet?

I've been scouring the interwebs and googles.. found nothing  :'(
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Cormac Long

Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

pianotuner steveo

It looks like the base is an actual Wurlitzer part. too bad I threw out a bunch of those!

I do have a few if you are interested, Chris.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Cormac Long

The harp images which were removed from the Flickr feed showed tines and not reeds. It's not going to sound like a Wurlitzer without reeds.

Edit: forgot our own rules here. No RMC discussion. This post edited along with others after it. Let VV worry about any legal issues. We can just gaze in awe of the new EPs.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

pianotuner steveo

Edit: removed RMC references

Maybe those pictures were accidentally added Rhodes harp pictures which is why they were removed....

We should know more after tomorrow.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

bumpyrhode

Here's what I figure.

Wurly style case to keep the weight down. Possibly light weight composite harp
boards too. Reclaimed or reproduction tines

Edit: removed patent reference.

Cormac Long

The harp was recognisable as a Rhodes harp with tonebars and pickups. But the harp was not uniform in shape. The front seemed to slant inward as you moved up in pitch. So they seem to have removed excess weight in a number of places.
Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Cormac Long

Regards,
   Cormac

Forum Administrator
admin@ep-forum.com

Twitter LinkedIn

Rune W

Cool! Sounds Rhodes-like. Let's hope there will be more vids and sound-samples out soon.
Rhodes Suitcase 88 MK1 (1978)

Rhodes MK V