News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Wurlitzer 200A Action removal

Started by rockinpapy, February 19, 2022, 06:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinpapy

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I need some help with removing the Action from a 200A. I have just got hold of an example of one of these pianos and it needs a lot of work. The most immediate problem is that the base has suffered serious water damage on one corner. The wood is rotten, and extensive enough that, in my opinion, a new base is needed. I have the woodworking skills and tools to be able to make a new one. Using the Service Manual found online and trawling through many posts on this forum, I've managed to remove all the components (taking copious photos) except the Action. I've removed the four screws from the brackets at the sides and the one screw in the middle using a long-bladed screwdriver down between the dampers. The Action is now loose but will not come out - I've only used reasonable force. It appears to be pivoting at a point around the centre. Is there another screw somewhere? It looks like I might have to take the damper assembly off to investigate further. Before I do something I'll regret later, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experience with removing the Action on this model. Sadly, the Service Manual is missing the very pages I need!

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Regards, Alan. 
Restoring a 200A

Tines&Reeds

There are two screws holding the sustain mechanism on the back of the action.
German Rhodes Tech nearby Hamburg / Bremen

http://www.tinesandreeds.com

Tines&Reeds

And yes. You have to remove the dampers since these are also attached to the sustain mechanism on the back.
German Rhodes Tech nearby Hamburg / Bremen

http://www.tinesandreeds.com

rockinpapy

Hi and many thanks for your replies. I removed those two screws as you suggested and it then became clear the only thing stopping removal of the action was the main damper connecting rod. So I pulled out the nearest four damper levers from their clips and was able to get a flat-bladed screwdriver in to remove the damper rod retaining screw. I was then able to lift the action straight out, dampers and all. In hindsight I should have removed the damper rod screw first as it would have made access to the two screws securing the action to the sustain mechanism bracket easier.
Restoring a 200A