Rhodes Stage mkii key height and tilt

Started by mikedrhodesla, January 16, 2024, 11:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikedrhodesla

Hello, been a long time lurker on here.  I've done some major restorations on my 1981 Rhodes Stage 72 mkII - when I got it, it was falling apart and looked like it had been neglected for years. I've gone through just about every part and with advice from these forums have lovingly restored it to great condition! It now looks like new and I'm really happy with the tones I've gotten out of it, after perfecting the voicing over many iterations.  However, there is one issue with it that I've never resolved and I haven't been able to find any advice on this particular issue. 

Ever since I got the piano, the bottom of the keys were always above the top of the lip of the case (see pictures).  Even after I've reset the key hight and dip, and leveled the keys properly with paper shims to the factory specs, the keys still rest above this lip. The bottom of the keys is probaby 1/8" above the lip and the lip is about 1-1/4" above the bottom ot the inside of the case. On every other rhodes I've seen and played the keys have always sat below the lip.  For a long time I brushed this off as a particularity to my piano, however as I've played more different rhodes I've noticed my action feels a bit heavy and sluggish compared to other rhodes I've played.  Even though the key dip is set correctly, it still feels like my keys take more energy to push down than others.  The keys the are wooden type with the factory miracle mod on them.

Could the slow action be related to this issue with the key height? One theory I've had is that the keys are somehow tilted up towards the front, making the action innefficent, is that a possibility?  The harp assembly has no shims under is so I wouldnt know how to lower the front of the key bed.  Has anyone seen anything like this before? Do the keys need to be level at rest position?  Currently the end blocks are level at rest but the keys are tilted back about 2 degrees. Would love some input, thanks!

Jenzz

Hi :-)

Since it is an Mk2 and from '81, chances are that your piano frame was mounted into a case that was supposed to be for a plastic key Mk2.

The lip of the lower part of Mk2 cases for the plastic key models is roundabout 1 cm lower than on a case for wooden key Mk2.

So, if you mount (for some reason) a wooden key piano frame into such a case, you will have a space between lip and keys.

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

mikedrhodesla

Interesting, seems like an oversite from the factory, I guess this was around the time they were switching from the wooden key to the plastic key model.

What about the key tilt, anything to look into there or is my rhodes up to spec?