News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Kawai EP-308M value?

Started by Rob A, November 28, 2007, 11:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob A

Okay, there's one local to me, I'm thinking about it, what is the group's opinion of value on this rare beast? It's similar in concept to a CP80, acoustic piano with pickups instead of soundboard.

Plus side:
it's supposed to sound pretty good versus a CP80, I haven't played this one yet.
Has MIDI out (if it's got all the cables)

Minus side:
330 pounds (holy crap!)
probably impossible to source parts
will need tuning
might need regulating
330 pounds!

In no case would I pay more than 1000. One sold recently on ebay for 400, hard to know about the condition though. Any of you cats own one of these? Any of you tech types ever serviced one (I'm looking at you steveo)?

pianotuner steveo

Hey Rob, just found this post. No, I have never serviced one of these- I've only seen pictures. The only thing I can recommend is that you learn how to tune it yourself-in the long run you will save $$$$$. The tool ( a good one)  is around $100-don't buy one of those CRAPPY $12 specials on Ebay. For about $125 you can get the tools you need- or if you want a decent Korg tuner,maybe $200 worth of tools.Less than the cost of 3 piano tunings.

As far as parts go, if nothing is BROKEN, you most likely will not need any parts, and things like felts are readily available. Are the hammers covered in leather like the Yamahas?

As far as regulation- I would say find a manual, and I can help you figure it out.

I can give you all kinds of pointers for tuning these-I have the actual Yamaha manual and they have a suggested tuning curve that would most likely work well with these also. (Meaning CP-70 manual)

These have less strings than a regular acoustic piano, so it wouldn't be hard to learn on. Far easier than tuning a wurlitzer. NOTHING is as easy as tuning a Rhodes, tho...

Offer them a low price and negotiate from there. Maybe you can get it for only $300-$400-you NEVER know. A friend of mine found a Wurli 200 at a yard sale, with pedal, music rack AND bench- he talked them down to $75. We sold the piano for $950 and the bench to someone else for about $85 I think.
He used that money to buy a nice guitar and real nice microphone.Best $75 he ever spent!
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

pianotuner steveo

Also- If you buy a flat dolly at Home Depot for about $45, moving a 330 lb piano is easy as long as you don't have to go up and down stairs.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Rob A

Quote from: "pianotuner steveo"Also- If you buy a flat dolly at Home Depot for about $45, moving a 330 lb piano is easy
WooHoo!

Quote from: "pianotuner steveo"as long as you don't have to go up and down stairs.
D'OH!

Thanks for the tech tips. I'll probably go inspect this the week after next. At the price they're asking, it's going nowhere. I've traded emails with the seller and established myself as a credible buyer, but I told them it was not worth anything like what they are asking. The longer I wait the more compelling that point becomes...