Not related to Keyboards....well, a little bit!!

Started by tomnardozza, December 21, 2008, 11:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomnardozza

is it me or does eBay suck anymore??!   sellers can't leave negative feedback, buyers have all kinds of opportunities to screw sellers, WTF is searching by "best match"???!!!, ......   just a gripe, thanks for listening!!
"What's in a name? that which we call a rhodes
     By any other name would smell as sweet......"

sean

I agree that "Best Match" is never what I want to see.  Show me "ending soonest."  But we search on pretty specific items, and we get pretty specific hits (I just search for Rhodes in Musical Instruments.)

But there are plenty of ebay folks that might be searching for the image of Jimi Hendrix burned into a piece of toast, or for a new purse or pair of shoes (there is all kinds of junk out there).

I have lost a lot of interest in ebay, but I am still a craigslist junkie.
My first three Rhodes were ebay gambles, but my last two Rhodes were craigslist finds.

The auction mentality pushes the prices too high on ebay, and the shill bidders have ruined the possibility for getting a sweet deal.  If I see suspicious bidding by a zero-feedback bidder, I take my money elsewhere.

However, for small electronics parts and cables, I have had great luck on ebay.

However, my favorite feature of ebay is that if you desire a photo of some random item with a specific model number, you can usually find it on ebay.  If somebody at work tells me that they have some weird firewall or old disk array, I can usually find it on ebay before I can dig into the manufacturer's website, and wade through their product lit to find just a quick idea of what the gizmo is.

tomnardozza

agreed.  it is one of the best reference sites on the internet (not what they make money on, but i'm sure they'll find a way soon!!)
"What's in a name? that which we call a rhodes
     By any other name would smell as sweet......"

geyster

yep, the buyer has become untouchable gold on Ebay !

Not a bad thing in itself but a little unfair for the sellers as I'm sure lots of buyers use their golden status to blackmail honest sellers, even if the transaction went fine...

Fred

Sellers like "gravitymusicgear" are probably to blame for sellers not able to leave negative feedback... I bought a Peterson pre-amp from them that was described as being in "perfect working order". I plugged it in and heard nothing but distortion. I tried numerous emails and phonecalls with no response, and finally had to file a complaint as time was running out. I gave them plenty of time, I waited until about the last day to file. That finally got some communication out of them, which was nothing more than very snotty remarks and the suggestion that I should "just send it back, seeing as there's no way to make you happy", or something like that. So I did, and it was the ONLY time to date that I left negative feedback. So they did the same, ruining my "perfect" rating with a B.S. remark that I "gave (them) no time to fix"...
Head Designer of the Vintage Vibe Tine Piano
Collector
Electric Piano Technician in New Haven, Ct.
(203) 824-1528

Spaceduck

Yup, ebay isn't what it used to be. What made ebay great (10 years ago) was the way it was a self-policing community. Buyers & sellers could leave honest feedback, and thats how the scams & hoaxes got exposed.

They got a new CEO early this year who promised to make ebay "a more positive marketplace" ...but she did this by taking away our ability to say anything negative?!? LOL

Oh, this new CEO also promised to lower fees for sellers. She did this by reducing the listing fees by 10 cents but DOUBLING the commission fees to 9%. So for items worth more than $10 you lose big time.

The problem is ebay is just too huge. I keep hoping Google will enter the game and make an auction site of its own, but there's no word on that. Ebay is a monopoly plain & simple... and they know it!   :evil: