Damper/sustain mechanism on a Mark II Stage 73

Started by Mauricio, March 29, 2024, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauricio

Hello.

I've recently bought a Rhodes Mark II Stage 73. It's not really in good shape, and that's why I bought it: it was affordable, and I'll get to try to restore it without prior experience.

I've read a lot before buying it, and I'm still researching before diving in. I'm sure I'll make mistakes, but at least they'll be informed and (probably/hopefully) harmless to the piano.

So... The list of repairs is long, and, for starters, I would like opinions and advice on a particular matter:
The wood part of the damper/sustain mechanism. The pedal and the sustain rod seem to be okay.

Got 2 questions:

1. The wooden structure/wall (rectangular with a semicircle, as seen at the top of the photo) should be one piece fixed to the whole wood case, right?

After I removed the damper release bar, I found out that the wood seems to be broken in two. The bottom half is loose.

2. What's the actual name for the cylindrical wooden piece with the metal bar (seen at the bottom of the photo)?

I still haven't found an image that shows how this mechanism is assembled, and I don't know how to search for it. I assume that this piece is intact as it should be, and the part with black cloth should be up, touching the damper release bar.

I'm yet to open it all to take a better look, but I'm trying to pace myself. If you can help confirm that it's a woodwork fix, maybe I'll change my approach and start there.

I'll appreciate any opinion and/or advice here (even if it is just a "good luck with that" ;) )

Thank you.
Rhodes Mark II Stage 73 --- To Do List:
- Damper/Sustain mechanism: Fix wood structure
- Pickups measurement and remagnetize/replacement
- C 28 Tine replacement
- Adjust keys loose position and balance
- Fine tune it and enjoy it for a while before starting rust and aesthetics repairs