News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Wurlitzer 200 Top Restoration

Started by jthiessen, January 13, 2014, 03:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jthiessen

I recently purchased a 200.  The black top is scuffed and in need of some new life.  Can anyone tell me the best way to restore it?  I looked through the forum and didn't see anything on this.  Sorry if I missed it.

Is there anything I can do about the scuff marks?

Can I use a rattle can of Vinyl Dye?

What about Amor All?

Thanks!

voltergeist

Armor All will go a long way.  I wouldn't recommend anything in a rattle can.
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

jthiessen

Thanks.  I'll try a bit of Armor All.  I don't imagine that will do anything for the scuff marks, will it?

OZDOC

Products like Armour All effectively add a coating of silicone or wax to the plastic. They give it a wet look that increases reflective contrast in many lighting conditions and 'fills' minor scratches with fluid. The end result is a certain amount of masking of blemishes while cleaning off superficial dirt with the rubbing in process.

Once you've done this the waxes make it difficult to use other restoration methods. And dust can stick to the 'wet' surface. And you need to be careful what you sit on the cover as some of the silicon or wax may transfer.

ABS plastic can be readily painted using automotive acrylic lacquers. Done correctly the paint bonds well. The end result will be even colour over the entire top and you can also vary the reflectivity level by the addition of flatting agent to the paint. Paint will mask a certain amount of superficial scratching, but paint films are very thin. So for major damage you'll need to use the same sort of filling techniques you use when repairing the bodywork of cars. This can be time consuming on textured plastic.
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

Rob A

Quote from: voltergeist on January 13, 2014, 03:59:51 PM
Armor All will go a long way.  I wouldn't recommend anything in a rattle can.

I on the other hand, would recommend vinyl dye enthusiastically.

http://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=6079.msg29846#msg29846

jthiessen

Thanks, Rob A.  I thought I had seen your post in the past, but could not find it.

Any thoughts on how to deal with the scratches?

voltergeist

I was not previously aware of vinyle dye.  Results do indeed look good.  I assume it would probably work as well on a Rhodes top(?).

I stand by 'no-rattle-cans' as a rule, though vinyl dye appears to be an exception to the rule.
Restored or Overhauled: '65 A-model Sparkletop, '78 Suitcase 73, early-'75 Satellite 88, '81 MkII Stage 73, two '77 Mk1 Stage 73's, '74 Mk1 Stage 73
In Progress: 1 '78 Suitcase (2nd one), '70 KMC - Customized w/ Peterson 4x12, '77 Wurli 270

jthiessen

I agree.  Rob A's results look good.  I hope to have similar results.

Jefsong

I am thinking of restoring the finish on my 200A. The Vinyl Dye seems like a good idea. Does anyone know how I would go about fixing a small hole in the side of the top? It looks like it was burned by a lamp that was kept to close to it for too long. How would I patch that?

Thanks

Pigmeat

I went a little crazy with mine, but I'm very pleased with the results.  My 200A had holes drilled above the left speaker, large gouges on the top, and the words "The Happy Memories" were carved all across the rear side.  Otherwise, the instrument was fabulous.  I decided to completely remove the textured surface so that the lid was smooth as can be.  I was inspired by the new Vintage Vibe pianos.  This is something I would never do again - way too much work! I spray painted it antique white and I think it looks great!

I attached a photo - not the best quality :(

If anyone wants more details on the process, please let me know.

Student Rhodes

Nice!
I believe Bob Mayo had a white Wurli for the '77 Frampton tour.   Matched his Rhodes and Baby Grand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1kk0X4jmAQ

pianotuner steveo

Painting a Wurli top always looks nice, but if you gig with it, it will get scratched up. That is the only drawback as far as I can tell.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...