News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Suitcase: late MK1 vs MK2

Started by cece, February 10, 2024, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cece

Hello,

I am considering buying a suitcase. I found an MK1 79 and an MK2 80. I read the difference is in theory only cosmetics between these two models. However I listened to them and the MK2 sound pretty similar to my stage MK2, while the MK1 sounds really like I would expect from... well... an MK1, more fat and sweet.

Is it true that late MK1 and MK2 sound the same? Do this apply also to suitcases?
Rhodes MK II Stage Seventy Three 1980
Crunch Master

spave

Hi cece,

Yes it is true that the differences between the 79 and 80 are minimal. The only major difference would be that the 80 will likely have the "white tape" pickups that are known to have a higher failure rate although I believe some of the late 79s also have a version of the red pickups that fail at a similar rate.

The main thing you are noticing in the sound is the setup. (Nearly) every Rhodes can be setup to sound like the classic "fat and sweet" sound depending on the setup and hammer tips. If the MK1 already has the sound you want and is in good mechanical condition then I'd go for it. That being said, the 80 would also be able to achieve a similar sound with enough tinkering.

Also, the suitcase electronics between the 79 and 80 are completely identical  :)

Hope this helps!
1969 KMC Home Rhodes Prototype