Earliest Torrington date???

Started by Student Rhodes, June 27, 2013, 05:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Student Rhodes

Okay, I'm intrigued by the time periods for the various transitions in the piano.
So, much like my query last week about the transition to aluminum harp supports in the '75 era pianos, I'm interested to know when Fender switched from Raymacs to Torringtons.

Thought I'd read somewhere that it was late '71, or early '72.  But I've recently picked up a harp that has Torringtons from somewhere around April of 71 (TBJ Date Code 1571).

Anyone have a Rhodes with Torringtons from an earlier date?

Ray

Student Rhodes

Just checked the Super Site, and it has a timeline that says the change to Torringtons happened in 1970.  I wonder what month?  I have a harp out of one of my Student Models from January of that year with Raymacs.

David Ell

I wouldn't put much stock into the supersite history timeline for dating tines. Many times people have had to correct them.

goldphinga

I had an 80mk2 with Janus front panel and stereo breakout box (now owned by a close friend) that was killer. Kinda regret selling it but there you go! At least I know where it is!

tarkus boy

i don't know the right week in 70 though i can say i have had recently a 13 71 with torringtons in my hands. the way to recognize raymacs -if i simplify- is to check the tuning springs. if they are the big model so the tine is a raymac one. the raymacs coating is textured and the springs grip on the tines pretty well. the torringtons coating should be smooth and even/regular.
i still remember that pleasant vinyl smell from a brand new Rhodes piano in 1975. you can't forget this.

One More Tine:
http://legacy.fenderrhodes.com/v2/service.html

The Real MC

Here's a Suitcase 73 from 1971.  Definitely sounds like Torringtons.  Sounds nice  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BqBjmERUuq0#at=35

This is an early suitcase without accessory jacks, so it's a safe bet that suitcases with accessory jacks have Torringtons under the hood.

David Ell

Put an effects loop in, it's easy. That is if you play with a wah, phaser etc. I would love to hear that Rhodes with a crybaby classic.

okdk

'62 Hammond C3/leslie 122,  '74 Rhodes Stage 73, Vintage Vibe Legacy Classic 64, Yamaha Motif ES6, S90ES, Nord Electro 4

goldphinga

Quote from: David Ell on July 25, 2013, 08:59:10 AM
Put an effects loop in, it's easy. That is if you play with a wah, phaser etc. I would love to hear that Rhodes with a crybaby classic.

Is there a way to do that so that it looks standard? Perhaps
I could find a face plate with the accessory sockets holes. Man I love this Rhodes!
The only downside is its hard to play, the action feels a little tense- not sluggish just takes a fair whack to accelerate! Maybe I should do the miracle mod-

Ps okdk thanks for the nice comment :)

Student Rhodes

They sell replacement control plates at Vintage Vibe for twenty bucks.
http://www.vintagevibe.com/p-249-suitcase-name-plates.aspx

I don't know if you'll have this problem on a Seventy-Three, but I know on my Eighty-Eight we had to chisel out a little bit of the harp support block to accommodate the jacks.  Totally worth it though.

Ray

Tine-E

@goldphinga

Artistry add technical knowhow = Joy!!

David Ell

You might want to try the regular key pedestal mod with just the right thickness felt and bump size. Then get escapement close ( I am sure you have) in all ranges. That combined with the right action rail location makes for a great '72. It might take several tries but it can be made to be the best action. If done right, the key bounce is minimized and the key dip feels just right. You can feel it when the key/cam cradle is on lock and sliding well. When you hit the spot, then you can get any '72 to feel the same way. It stays with you.
Mod dampers are a must for those early Rhodes when you play that hard and fast.
Overall it sounds a little clicky but I guess that's the room sound. When you play like that tips get hard fast. Nice chops by the way.

goldphinga

Quote from: David Ell on July 25, 2013, 10:34:36 PM
You might want to try the regular key pedestal mod with just the right thickness felt and bump size. Then get escapement close ( I am sure you have) in all ranges. That combined with the right action rail location makes for a great '72. It might take several tries but it can be made to be the best action. If done right, the key bounce is minimized and the key dip feels just right. You can feel it when the key/cam cradle is on lock and sliding well. When you hit the spot, then you can get any '72 to feel the same way. It stays with you.
Mod dampers are a must for those early Rhodes when you play that hard and fast.
Overall it sounds a little clicky but I guess that's the room sound. When you play like that tips get hard fast. Nice chops by the way.

That's the direct sound of the Rhodes from the harp straight into my computer bypassing the Peterson preamp and cab. It does sound a little clicky but yeah the room and camera mix play a part too. But it sounds smooth as butter running through the cab which rounds off the highs nicely but the harder midrange tips still give me the attack I like. I find the standard Rhodes tip config too soft for me. I don't actually play very hard - it's more like a firm punch using my fingertips I suppose rather than slamming the hell out of the Rhodes with my full body weight or arms. You have to learn how to massage those tines as you play- reach into them instead of hitting them. David- where do you recommend I get the materials from for the pedestal mod? By the way this Rhodes is date stamped 2572. thanks for the props guys.

David Ell

Wait a minute, no marcel? Flat pedestals?  Yeah, I bet that Rhodes sounds awesome with it's cab. I had two 25 '72's and a 12 and a 7. One of the 25's I set up with harder tips. People loved it.

vanceinatlance

Goldphinga, your video makes me want to try the harder hammer tip mod you applied to your suitcase. It definately won't help me play as well as you, but, I would sure like to hear/feel the difference for myself. If only it were a quick and simple thing to do..... 
Must sound amazing through that peterson!

The Real MC

GP, got a direct link to the YT video?  Flash doesn't work for some reason on my Mac with Safari.