News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

fix for damper rail pins always falling out? ( rhodes )

Started by ummagumma, February 05, 2020, 12:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ummagumma

the two 2" pins that hold my damper rail in ( at each end ) keep sliding out and falling into the inside of the rhodes, getting lost

I am afraid to move the thing. actually one of them is inside somewhere, and I can't find it :D

is there a common fix for this? I can't imagine all the touring musicians of the past 50 years having to deal with this?

I almost want to get a single long piece of rod instead, running the width of the chassis. but it would be tough to install

thanks!

ps it is a MK IA from 1971, stage model

Tim Hodges

There should be a plate held in by 2 screws either side of the damper bar which prevent the pins from moving. Are these missing?
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

ummagumma

thanks!

I believe there are 2 plates on the damper bar, that hold a guide/tube the pins fit into

but the pins spin freely inside them, and slide out all the time

I'll take a couple pics

maybe it's possible to tighten them? I never thought of that assumed there was something ( missing ) that held them, on the other side of the wooden harp supports

ummagumma

you know, since the pins go right through the end blocks, I wonder why they didn't just use a clip that slides through a hole in the pins to keep them from sliding inward?

anyway, here are pics of mine. the right side I jammed a pencil in there, until I can find where that pin is, inside the keyboard!

Tim Hodges

Those plates should be under the lip of the damper rail. Insert them first then screw the other side in.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

ummagumma

!!!

wow! that makes a lot of sense, and explains everything. I was knocking my brains trying to figure out why they'd build it like that

someone must have pulled them off at some point, and reinstalled them incorrectly

unless they came that way from the factory?

bizarre.

I can't find the other pin, but I know it's jammed inside somewhere. argh

Thanks Tim!!

ummagumma

you can see in the pics, where those plates are getting stressed & will eventually break, without the support on that edge