News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

[Newbie] Does anyone own a Yamaha CP 70 (or) 80?

Started by Saint Everett, July 13, 2020, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint Everett

Hello! I'm a brand new member and was wondering if anyone has owned/worked on a Yamaha CP 70/80. I've been looking at purchasing one for a while but haven't been able to find one I think would be a good price. I'd like to get one that needs repairs to begin to know the ins and outs of the keyboard. Let me know if you know anything about them!

OZDOC

Hi, the CP-70B is my favourite classic keyboard. Given that it is based on a conventional piano action the same warnings apply that would apply to buying a 40-year-old piano. If the action has been heavily used or abused the work required to make it worth owning could be extensive. If the piano no longer holds its tuning, walk away. In general, you are better off waiting for a lightly played, lightly gigged instrument. David
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/

Saint Everett

Thank you for the advice, and you are right, I guess it is a big thing to look out for when looking for one. Maybe it's better look for a simpler or easier repair job for a first project.

Peter Hayes

I know of one in S. W. Ohio. Drop me an email offline and I'd be happy to put you in touch with the owner.

Peter@elecedge.com

Peter Hayes
Electronic Edge
http://www.elecedge.com
937-767-7174

pianotuner steveo

@ David,
Why do you say walk away from one that no longer holds its tuning? It's a much simpler repair than most people think if the tuning pins are loose.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

pianotuner steveo

Also, even when the tuning pins are tight, these are a royal pain to tune so that they sound ok, the bass is extremely difficult due to inharmonicity.
I've tuned about 8 of these, and I hope I never have to do one again. The action is the best part, but the hammers are not felt.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

soul

I acquired a CP70 this week :D But no legs or pedal  :(. I cant wait to put it together and see how it sounds. I see people selling leg sets for around $350-400, a little rich for my blood. Any other ideas out there?

row111