News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Mark I Preamp and effects - where do I start??? HELP NEEDED

Started by mimmolondon, October 19, 2009, 08:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimmolondon

Hi all - just bought a Mark I Stage Piano (£1,200) mint condition - sounds great but really want to spice it up a little without spending a fortune.

This is what I had in mind in terms of effects / preamp:

- ART Tube MP Studio V3
- BOSS GE7 Equalizer Pedal
- Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
- Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb
- Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah
- MXR M159 Stereo Tremolo Pedal
- MXR M107 Phase 100 Phaser

This package would cost me £550 (new and used parts) and I guess it would allow me to twick the rhodes with multiple combination. Few questions:
- Am I buying too many things?
- Is the ART Tube MP good enough given its price???
- is MXR better than BOSS for phaser/tremolo effects? Do I still need a tremolo if I by a phaser?

I am really confused ! Any help by the rhodes community would be highly appreciated.

cheers

mimmo

pianotuner steveo

1,200 pounds??? What is that in dollars,like $5,000?
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

mimmolondon

it's about $2,000 - not many rhodes in the uk market, and most of them with issues. this one I bought has (apparently) been in a living room for 30y, never gigged, looks new!

Mark II

Quote from: "pianotuner steveo"1,200 pounds??? What is that in dollars,like $5,000?

so, steve, fall on your knees and praise for being born in the US.
kind regards

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

andi85

The Tube MP is good enough for the money, however, I'd recommend the SM Pro Audio TB101, as it's a little more flexible with basic EQ and a little compression.
Prices are very similar.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!

keysandslots

Quote from: "andi85"The Tube MP is good enough for the money, however, I'd recommend the SM Pro Audio TB101.

I use the TubeMP, works fine, but I'll need to check out the TB101, I've never heard of it.  That's alot of pedals you're looking at getting.  Keep in mind each of those will add some noise and some colour to the sound, even when not activated, depending on the pedal.  

My advice, for what it's worth, is to start with a bit less, and go with stereo effects where possible.  I'm using only a chorus and phaser, and I have to admit I'm really enjoying the phaser again after years of using a chorus. I've never liked the sound of the ping pong tremolo that seems to be THE Rhodes effect, so I haven't worried too much about replicating that.  Same with the envelope filter, too harsh for me.

If you're going to go with a Boss chorus, I think the CE-3 sounds better than the CE-5.  For a phaser, I've never liked the sound of the MXR phasers on my Rhodes so you may want to experiment a bit first.  I'm really happy with the Maxon effects I've recently started using, and the combination of chorus and phaser is really nice.

What are you going to use for an amp?  If you're using your piano at home or in your home studio, you might want to consider running it through a small mixer, into a home stereo and then some nearfields (monitor speakers).

Randy
Some of my stuff can be checked out at tune and tune and CD and even tune

mimmolondon

Many thanks Randy!

Tube Amp is going straight into a MOTU soundcard and then to KRK active monitors.

Couple of question:
- what about Boss's Super Chorus ?
- lots of people in the Rhodes community seem to like the MXR Phased. Maxon does not distribute in UK - any other suggestion?

Thanks
Cosimo

Mark II

Quote from: "mimmolondon"
- lots of people in the Rhodes community seem to like the MXR Phased. Maxon does not distribute in UK - any other suggestion?

Thanks
Cosimo

check out the EHX small stone.
kind regards

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

keysandslots

I tried the MSX phase shifters back in the 70s, and ended up buying a Mu-tron, the first version.  When the Mu-tron finally died, I did without until buying the Maxon.

These are the Maxon boxes I'm using now:

http://www.maxonfx.com/Vintage_PH350.php
http://www.maxonfx.com/Vintage_CS550.php

The Super Chorus (CH-1) seems to have good reviews, and the EH Polyphase might also give you the sound you want.  Can you borrow or rent any of this stuff before you buy?

Randy
Some of my stuff can be checked out at tune and tune and CD and even tune