News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

How loud should a Mk2 Suitcase with Janus amp be?

Started by blueberryjam, July 19, 2023, 01:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueberryjam

Hey, so I've bought this Rhodes a couple years ago and I suspect the preamp may have been modified. I can barely push it level above 3 without the sound being VERY loud. Wondering if that sounds normal to those of you who have a 5 pin Janus suitcase Rhodes?

spave

Hi blueberryjam,

I only have experience with the Peterson system but even those get very loud past 2 when in a household environment so it wouldn't surprise me that the Janus is similar. My guess is the electronics probably weren't been modified to make it louder. However, if a previous owner adjusted the pickups too close that could be causing it to be excessively loud.

I would use the guide below to check and make sure the pickups aren't too close to the tines. If they are, then pulling them back a bit should help with the excessive loudness.

https://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/ch4.html#4-7
1969 KMC Home Rhodes Prototype

blueberryjam

Thanks Spave! That's interesting, I wonder how loud they sound when pushed to 10  :o

I don't think the pickups are part of the issue, I tuned, voiced, adjusted the pickups and changed the hammer tips when I got this Rhodes. The mechanical stuff, I can deal with, however when it comes to the electronics I'm totally clueless.

blueberryjam

actually I just plugged the Rhodes and it gets quite loud past 1.5 / 2 on the volume knob. At 3 all kind of objects start buzzing/vibrating in the room, and I'm playing as soft as possible!

spave

If you are having trouble dialing in a good volume, I'd recommend getting a volume or EQ pedal to give an extra layer of adjustment.

Personally, I use a MXR 10 band EQ which works pretty well with the volume and it helps add a bit of top end sparkle to the original preamp.
1969 KMC Home Rhodes Prototype

Tines&Reeds

Quote from: blueberryjam on July 26, 2023, 01:00:01 AMactually I just plugged the Rhodes and it gets quite loud past 1.5 / 2 on the volume knob. At 3 all kind of objects start buzzing/vibrating in the room, and I'm playing as soft as possible!

Thats correct. The gain inside the janus preamp is ridiculous.... really over the top. Anyway for best noise ratio I'd personally recommend to lower the gain in the power amp since this will also lower the noise introduced by the CMRR.
German Rhodes Tech nearby Hamburg / Bremen

http://www.tinesandreeds.com