News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Value Fender Rhodes73M1 SuperSatellite+speakers &ClavD6

Started by scavos, December 01, 2007, 01:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scavos

Hi to you all from England.  

Hope you don't mind me posting to ask something of you without having contributed any posts first.  I have just found this forum in my quest for a rough idea of the value of a couple of vintage keyboards previously owned by my dad before he died a couple of years ago.  I didn't know him very well but I gathered he owned them from new, played and absolutely treasured them.

I've included some pictures as I know very little about them.  I have no power amp for either and the Fender Rhodes has no legs or peddle.  The tolex cover has had a couple of brackets attached to them which I guess were for a music holder.  The inside of the tolex cover looks almost spotless.  I have no way of playing either keyboard to check that all works ok.

Condition of the Rhodes looks very good to my untrained eye.  There is one key (middle E??  :? ) that has a little chip in it and another with a blemish but other than that they look fine.  The knobs on the left look a little different to the ones on the Fenderrhodes.com website.

In terms of parts, it has remained untouched from what I can see.  Not sure if that's a good or not so good thing.

Not sure if I should mention the D6 on here  :)  but apart form having some wear on the outer cover, it looks to be in amazing condition!  The perpsex music holder and legs are intact.

Here follows some pictures.  I'd love to know what you folks think and any advice you can offer.

They'll both be going up on ebay tonight or tomorrow.  My user name is scccavos if anyone is interested.  With a baby one on the way we could really do with the money.

scavos

Here's some photos of the D6.

I don't know if this Chase foot peddle unit were used with either keyboard but any info would be appreciated.

Mark II

@Rhodes:
this looks like a 1975 (see time stamp code on the left right side near the badge and this thread for more infos how to read it) Fender Rhodes Stage Model with Suitcase Preamps and Satellite Speakers
If you have both speakers (one named slave (I saw this in your pictures) and one named master) the master suplies the piano with the voltages it needs to operate the piano's preamp. in case you have it, their should also be a 4 pin cable to connect the piano to the master speaker.

these models with preamp upgrade and active speakers are pretty rare here in europe and saught after. I would estimate the european value to be somewhere between 1200 and 1800 euros. If you find the master speaker cabinet, the accessory of the paino (legs, crossbars, sustain pedal) and test the unit you will definetly get more money for the package.

@D6: in that state I would say 800 to 1200 euros. being tested good with an guitar amped would increase the upper limit.
@I have no idea about the pedal.

all estimates are based on watching ebay.de

go ahead and ask further questions.

Mark II
Rhodes Stage 73 Mark II 1980 / modified Peterson Suitcase Preamp

Rob A

I'm in the US market, so it's hard for me to comment on values in your market--I will defer to Mark II's wisdom there. But you have some desirable and sought after pieces of gear in your hands. Don't let them go too quickly for cheap.

Ebay is probably the best way to connect with the widest selection of buyers--having your listing in front of more buyers should drive up the sale price.

Mark II's advice is spot on--get the date code details as described here and include that info in your listing (a picture of that code would be helpful in the listing). If you can verify they are in working order and substantially complete (especially the Rhodes) the price rises.

Clavier

I want that Clav!

As far as the pedals go, It's just a simple bass synthesizer that is played with the feet. These were fairly popular in the seventies for key players that knew organ. With one, they could play bass with their feet when playing other keyboards, (like Rhodes).
Keys: Rhodes Mk1 Suitcase, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Hammond RT-2

Amplification: Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Ben Bove

I cannot comment on European Prices either here from the states, but yes Ebay will get you the most money.

As far as the Rhodes goes, I'd guess it's age at late 1973 or early 1974 with the full skirt rounded keycaps.  One of the most desirable production years no matter where you are in the world.  The cream painted things are a little unfortunate, you might get a little more cash for it cleaned up nicely, maybe laquer thinner - unscrew the silver namerail to get at it, but the logos and knobs you probably can't do much with.  Maybe you could chip away very carefully at the knobs unscrewed from the preamp, but you can't get replacements if they break.

As MarkII said, this was a Satellite System Stage Rhodes, 2 remote speaker cabinets - a Master and a Slave.  The "input" on the piano is a 4-pin special powered connector that goes to the power supply on the master speaker, and a 1/4" cable connects the Slave cabinet to the Master.  If you don't have the Master Speaker, with the grey 4pin cable, you won't be able to properly power up the piano.  You can get sound out of it connecting a 1/4" cable to one of the left jacks on the piano, to the slave speaker, but you won't be able to use any of the knobs on the preamp without power.  As they said, even without this master speaker though, you should get a good buck.  The "Rhodes" logo on the back isn't original, it should be a "Fender Rhodes" like on your namerail.  The lid looks hand-crafted for those mounts for as you said, what looks like a music stand or something.  May affect value slightly, but again.  Don't let them fool you.

Clavinet's in very nice shape, complete with the lid, legs, brace, and acrylic music stand.  You may want to check out clavinet.com for more info.  You should get a nice price for that one.  Best of luck!
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

scavos

Thank you folks for your words of advice.  I've delayed selling these so I can test that they work ok first.  I think it's only fair to potential buyers.
I now need to find out where I can go to test them.  I'll also need to consider buying anything missing in order for them to work.  Do you think legs and a peddle would be a good investment or unnecessary?  Same question for a replacement tolex lid I guess.
I do have both speakers and I'll have a dig around for any leads as we had to clear up in a hurry at the time and left quite a bit behind.  Long story.  I know I don't have any power units for either of these.
The comment on the cream paint made me smile as I hadn't spotted it.  It's just the sort of thing my dad would do apparently  :roll:   :)   Thankfully he left the D6 well alone!
If you have any helpful UK (Midland) contacts that might be able to help that would be appreciated.
Thanks again so much for your help so far. Scav

Rob A

I'd avoid buying any accessories actually, leave that to the buyer and just disclose it in the listing. The one exception is the four pin cable for the Rhodes, you'll need it to play.

Legs would normally be stowed in a hinged compartment inside the square lid. You'd probably hear them rattling around. A new owner may prefer a modern type of stand, so I'd suggest not buying replacement legs, just disclose that they are missing and let the market sort that out. You should probably come out ahead that way.

If you have both speakers for the Rhodes, then you have a complete unit that includes the power amp. The master will have the power supply for the preamp unit contained in the piano, plus the amp for both speaker units the slave (pictured) has neither. If it's intact, you have one of the most desirable configurations of Rhodes ever produced--the stereo sound from that rig is impossible to beat.

scavos

Thanks again.  I'll try and find a place where I can get a 4 pin cable from.
I'll also need to check what the connection from the electric wall socket to the master cabinet is.  Maybe what we used to all a Kettle lead?
I'll post some more pics up tomorrow of the speakers together and the date stamp if I can find it.
I'm really looking forward to hear if this works ok and if so, what it sounds like!
Could you point me in the right direction for the hinged compartment where the legs normally are?  I doubt if they're there as I can't hear them moving around but I must satisfy my curiosity.
Perhaps if it is all working I can pos a video of a friend playing it.  I can't play for toffee!   :D  

scavos

Rob A

Quote from: "scavos"Thanks again.  I'll try and find a place where I can get a 4 pin cable from.
ebay is that place. Make sure you get the four-pin flavor rather than the five-pin!

Quote from: "scavos"I'll also need to check what the connection from the electric wall socket to the master cabinet is.  Maybe what we used to all a Kettle lead?
Sounds about right--on this side of the pond it's the same plug that fits a receptacle, so any cord will do the job. I can't read the label indivating voltage under yours, but that's a north American standard plug in your pic. One of the other UKian members can shed light on how to power it from 220V better than I can I'm positive of that.

Quote from: "scavos"I'll post some more pics up tomorrow of the speakers together and the date stamp if I can find it.

Get that date stamp pic in the auction listing if at all possible.

Quote from: "scavos"I'm really looking forward to hear if this works ok and if so, what it sounds like!

Me too! The more typical configuration is a suitcase bottom with both amp channels in one box--yours has the ability to spread right and left by a fair distance, taking an incredible stereo effect and enhancing it even farther. If it's functional it will be mind-expandingly excellent. At least it has that potential.

Quote from: "scavos"Could you point me in the right direction for the hinged compartment where the legs normally are?  I doubt if they're there as I can't hear them moving around but I must satisfy my curiosity.

It doesn't show clearly, but there's be a hinged flap running the length of the top at the top of the inside of the lid as shown in this pic. There's a couple straps with snaps buttoning the lid closed securely.

scavos

Hi again.  
I've done some more digging.  Definitely can't find any legs and I suspect the lid is a later (hand made?) addition that does have the hinged flap for the legs.
I've included some more photos that may be of interest.

The date stamp on the top right of the wood isn't easy to spot but it's 27 73 (27th week of 1973 I think) in dark blue ink.  There's a red number above it but I can't see what that is.  There's another number in dark blue that's just above the Fender Rhodes plate which reads 37 73.

I've photographed the two speakers next to each other as well as the master unit.  The cloth has some wear in but is in pretty good shape for it's age.

I also found the pins and screw which may or may not have anything to do with either keyboard.  I'd appreciate any hints if anyone knows.

I found some cables with the normal jacks on them as well as the one pictured with the curious adaptors coming from it.  It might not be relevant but again any clues would be helpful.  Sorry I am so ignorant about these things.

Now I just need to figure out exactly how to set it all up and ensure I get the 4 pin cable as you suggest.
Scav

Rob A

1973 is a very desirable year.

The missing fuse holder in your 2015 pic is kind of worrying.

The pins and wingnuts don't appear to me to be original parts.

The DC adapter may be part of some outboard effect. It wouldn't be needed to run the Rhodes.

Finding a stage piano with both satellites is very uncommon. Even if it isn't in working order, it's a very desirable instrument. I know I'd like to play it.

Rob A

Not related to the value, but watch this video of Clare Fischer playing the everloving hell out of a piano very similar to yours:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6rQsK_BNkA

scavos

Wow!  That is amazing.  Thanks so much for the link.  I am beginning to understand what all the fuss is about with these keyboards.  Apparently my dad was a very good jazz musician in his day and wrote many tunes.  I really can imagine him playing something like this too.  Although I live and breathe music, I can't play much more than a few chords on the guitar and chopsticks on piano.  :oops:  Hearing that clip makes me want to learn.

I'm beginning to sense that selling these isn't going to be as straight forward as I thought, in terms of wanting to hear them in all their glory and then maybe becoming attached to them!  Oh dear.

I know what you mean about the fuse holder.  I'm tempted to unscrew the screws and check if it has been pushed back inside somehow.  I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like though.

I've heard back from clavinet.com (very helpful guy) and apparently all it might need is new hammer tips.  A 9v battery is all I need to power it, and finally an amplifier with a 1/4" input jack.

This is becoming a bit of a mission.  :D Thanks again Rob A.

Rob A

The reason there is an active market for those instruments is because they have enduring, intrinsic value. They are professional quality, and with some reasonable maintenance can be pressed into service making beautiful music.

Today's equipment is not made to have that kind of life. The obsolescence is engineered into it. I have two digital keyboards that are mouldering away, having outlived their usefulness. No residual value to either of them.

scavos

Hi all.  

Another couple of questions:

Is this is the correct four pin cable for the Fender Rhodes?

Also, is there a simple diagramatic guide to setting up the cables (including power in UK) for this?  I know this seems like a silly question as there sppears to be so little to set up but I would rather get it right.

Many thanks and wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Mark II

yes, this looks like the 4 pin cable for the sattelite speakers.
hook up is like this:
use the 4 pin to connect piano and master speaker. use the right angled plug at the piano. then take a standard 1/4 jack instrument cable to connect master and slave speaker (plug slave output to master input)

there is a low quality scan of an user guide for this system, check it out

hope this helps
make sure that all 3 units get power, with the right voltage and frequency

Mark II

Ben Bove

This is the correct cable, however Usually with the satellite system like you have there is a much longer length cable that comes with it (so you can spread the speakers out).  In this case it will work just fine but the speaker will have to be right next to the piano if not under it.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Mark II

scavos

Thanks for those two ebay listings Mark.
I have been too busy (baby arrived) to check back on this thread so missed what the auctions went for.
I don't suppose you know do you?  It's well passed the 90 day limit now so I'm unable to find out.
I still have the keyboards and will be getting them prepared for sale pretty soon.  Hope to get them checked over by a professional this week to ensure they work ok.
As a good few months have now passed, if anyone else has any additional thoughts on these I'd be glad to here them.

Mark II

sorry, that's long ago, I had to remember other things (breath in, breath out,eat etc.)

good luck on selling these lovely keyboards

Mark II

scavos

LOL!  :)
I thought I'd be pushing it!!
Thanks again.

scavos

Hi all.  

I finally found some time to get my keyboards serviced.  Dan Goldman the guy from Leeds, (found through this site) did an awesome job and is a great lad too.

The RhodesWorks Leeds Leeds, West Yorkshire GB
http://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
goldman_dan@hotmail.com

I was relieved to hear they are in great shape except for the sticky hammer tips on the Clav.  Four strings need changing on the Clav too.  Nothing major.

Dan said the Rhodes has hardly been played, was still more or less in tune - just a couple of tweaks needed and that it is amazing to play, which was great to hear!

I took videos of him playing them both but I don't think I can post them here can I?

We got to play through the slave unit but didn't want to try the master unit because of the uncertainty of the situation with the fuse.  Although the fuse holder is missing on the outside panel, there is one inside the unit.   Not sure if the other one is needed.  I suspect it is.

Anyway, we left that one and I'm currently seeking out a guitar amp tech who can help advise.

I thought I'd post some pics of the inside of the cabinets because I have very rarely ever seen any before.  I hope you find them of interest - please ignore if not.

If anyone can advise regarding the fuse situation then do please let me know.

The master unit

The slave unit

scavos

Happy New Year to one and all.

At the risk of sounding really stupid I'd like to ask for some more advise.  

I have had the my satellite master cab fixed - the fuse holder and four pin din etc.   The necessary power leads etc. have finally enabled me to play the keyboard for myself at long last.  It really is amazing!  The vibrato effect is just lovely and reminded me straight away of Portishead's Dummy album.  I also cannot believe the power of this speaker cab.  My neighbours have been very understanding.

I digress...
Some issues remain that I'll be hoping to sort out are the 4 pin socket on the keyboard preamp crackles occasionally.  The slave cab needs a bit of a seeing to but the local guy who fixed my master cab is unable to fit in the time for now.  I'm also sorting some of the cosmetics - removing the cream paint etc.  

I have put new hammer tips on the Clav D6 as the original ones were horribly sticky!  Not a nice job but a dental tool and vintage vibe youtube video really helped.

So my query is that I now want to play the Clav through the Rhodes Satellite master cab if possible and would appreciate some advice on how to do this safely without risking any damage to anything.  I have the 9V battery and a speaker cable.  Can I plug this into the master cab?  If so, which socket - the preamps or the slave sockets?  Or should I go via the preamp on the Rhodes keyboard?

Alternatively, I could just borrow a guitar amp and use that instead but I'd really like to use the master if at possible.  Sorry for such a basic question but I know how helpful some of you folks on here are and I really have appreciated this community in and outside this forum over the last year.

Rob A

Despite the labeling, you should be just fine plugging your clav into the master cabinet using one of  the jacks labeled "Preamp Outputs." Try A first.

scavos

Thanks for the advise again Rob.  It worked a treat.  Great to hear it through the master cab.  Why I was expecting to be able to fly straight into the funky licks of Superstition is anyone's guess!  I can barely play a chord...  

Had a lot of fun flicking through the various sounds with the switches on the left.  All the hard work changing those sticky tips was well worth it.  Plenty of character in the sound it produces.  It really is like nothing else I've ever heard.

I have two broken strings in the higher registers and two down the lower end that appear to be slightly 'stretched' that can't be tuned.  I have heard that strings replaced down at that end don't bed in with the rest.  Does this mean a total restring is necessary.  I think I could cope with replacing a couple of strings but suspect a total restring is beyond me, especially with the yarn.

Si

BJT3

Be careful if you end up shipping the Clavinet. The pickups in it can become really brittle with age, and if they crack, it kills a lot of the value of the Clav. They do make replacements, but they're not the same as the originals. Definitely check out Clavinet.com for more detailed info about how to ship a Clav.
Regards,
-Ben-
1978 Mark I Stage Piano 88
1970 Wurlitzer 200
Hohner D6 Clavinet
1961 Hammond A100 Organ
1977 Fender Twin Reverb (Blackfaced)

Rob A

Quote from: "scavos"Thanks for the advise again Rob.  It worked a treat.  Great to hear it through the master cab.  Why I was expecting to be able to fly straight into the funky licks of Superstition is anyone's guess!  I can barely play a chord...

Tell you what--sell it to me, and I'll restring it and play the hell out of some Superstition.  8)

scavos

Cheers for the advice there Ben.  I'd certainly be taking advice on shipping these properly.

Hey Rob, sounds like a plan.  :wink: