News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

panning with one amp?

Started by ajcharles21, January 24, 2006, 09:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajcharles21

i am new to rhodes playing and i was wondering if it is possible to get the stereo panning sound without having to have two amps or two speakers.  i have a fender hot rod deville 410 and i was wondering if using a stereo pan pedal such as the ts-1 could create the panning stereo sound or would i have to buy another amp.  i guess i might not really understand the whole stereo concept.  is it possible to get the stereo sound through and amp that say has two speakers?  thanks for the help.

tnelson

Panning means moving the stereo image between right and left channels. You need some way to separate and project two channels.

ajcharles21

what is the best way to do this, are there amps that have a way to separate the channels btwn the speakers in the amp?  thanks for the info.

tnelson

There are a number of ways to achieve stereo output (stereo preamp or amp, splitting/panning device into two amps, stereo PA, etc.) but to hear stereo images, you need to project the two channels from two sound sources that are separated in space. The bigger the separation, the bigger the stereo effect. Effects such as reverb and delays can create the impression of space from a single source, but I don't know of a left-right panning effect that can work without two sound sources.

ajcharles21

maybe i should get one of those pedals and then run the piano through our band's PA system.  that would work wouldn't it.

tnelson

That will work if you have a stereo PA amp that outputs separate mixes/channels to R and L speakers.