News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Tone Bar Springs

Started by trengag, March 25, 2013, 08:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trengag

Do tone bar springs ever need to be replaced?
And if so, how can one tell which ones need replacement?
-Fender Rhodes Mark I Stage
-Kawai ES-4
-Kawai MP-8-II
-Roland XP-30
-Roland SH-201
-Roland EP-10
-Kurzweil K2000S V.3
-Alesis Micron
-Jen Pianotone (aka Vox Piano)
-Korg Karma
-Yamaha DX-7

The Real MC

Only when they're rusted.

Rust impacts the spring properties.  It also acts as an insulator - the spring doubles as a conductor to provide a low impedance ground to the tone bars to minimize noise.  See that metal strip running the length of the harp right under the springs?  That's connected to ground.

Student Rhodes

Trengag,
There has been some discussion about the various springs as found on a tone bar.  Fender apparently used different grades of springs for different resistance, as sometimes indicated by different colors. 

Aside from rust, which affects ground continuity, I would imagine these springs may be subject so some level of fatigue, but I'm not sure that's a real issue for these pianos. 

However, I have seen some Rhodes pianos with double springs on some of the tone bars, I presume to give added resistance where needed. 

Ray

David Aubke

Quote from: Student Rhodes on March 25, 2013, 04:15:42 PMHowever, I have seen some Rhodes pianos with double springs on some of the tone bars, I presume to give added resistance where needed.

Here's a discussion related to doubling tone bar springs.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys