News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Hello everyone

Started by stixrick, January 22, 2024, 07:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stixrick

This is my first post to the forum.  I own a Suitcase 88 with "45 78" stamped on the board. So, built in late 1978?  Serial number is K 735672. Black grille cloth. The speakers are marked 8 ohm and they are wired in parallel.  Was 1978 a good year? If I wanted to replace the speakers in pursuit of a less muddy sound, are there any recommendations? I have looked at some of the tweeter addition project pages and that is not looking like a good option for me mainly because I don't wish to remove and replace the grille cloth which is in great shape. Thanks.

dnarkosis

Just a note about the tweeter mod:

It's been a long time since I did this mod, but a former member, Rob A., did a good post on it back in the day https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=3217.0

Unfortunately the post no longer has the pix; but he did mention the following:

QuoteUsing the hole saw, I drilled four, three-inch holes, placing each piezo in a vertical line with the 12" driver nearest. One assembly was the left, and one the right side. Each assembly had a piezo in the front and back of the suitcase. I used 1/2" wood screws to attach the piezos to the panel.

I was worried about shredding my grille cloth with the hole saw. It turns out there's a gap behind the cloth, so if you are cautious, you can drill your holes perfectly round with no damage to the grille cloth. (this was an unexpected bonus--I was resigned to replace my grille cloth which smelled of smoke anyway)

I remember his pix showed that he had attached the tweeters to the inside back of the panel instead of taking the grill cloth off and inserting them through the outside front. I am about to replace the tolex and grill cloth on my Suitcase and will do the same thing when I reattach my tweeters, which I originally inserted from the front of the panel.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54