News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

How many recordings feature a Rhodes bass piano?

Started by TheStranger, July 07, 2006, 01:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Something that just came to mind while watching a Doors clip last night on Youtube (the clip can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slvPMU-7OyI&search=The%20Doors%20music - it has a lot of great Manzerek bass work!)...

Other than the Doors (and really, only the first album has the tone without overdubs from bass guitar), what other recorded output out there involves usage of the 32 key Rhodes Piano Bass?  Obviously it was the first model out there, but the full-sized versions would of course be the front lines of the Rhodes revolution in the fusion and rock arenas just a few years after the Piano Bass was released.

There was one Australian band I had read about years ago online (dunno if they were on the Rhodes mailing list) that had a Rhodes bass but I don't even know if I have their recordings anywhere anymore.

The only other band I can off hand think of that used the Rhodes bass piano is the obscure Detroit metal group 500 Ft. of Pipe, with Russ Westerbur providing the Rhodes bass, distorted chords on his main Rhodes piano, and vocals.  (He's moved on to several other projects since that band broke up ca. 2003.)

And although the liner notes for Billy Joel's pre-solo project Attila note that he "constructed" a bass keyboard for the project, I've suspected at times that he really just made that up for hyperbole and actually simply used a Rhodes bass.
1980 Mark II Suitcase 88