News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

A word of warnng with cleaning products.....

Started by pianotuner steveo, June 27, 2011, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianotuner steveo

Last week, I was hired by an elderly client to repaint her chipping piano that was painted at least three times previously.  (not an EP) Anyway, one previous person had spilled blue paint onto some of the keys and across the key fronts, they apparantly had no idea how to remove the keys.
I normally use Goof Off to remove dried latex paint, but was almost out. When I went to my favorite hardware store, they had a similar product called OOPS! instead, so I bought that. I very quickly learned that OOPS! has acetone in it after I purchased it. I did not read the label, but smelled it right away. Acetone MELTS plastic keytops, and if I had put this onto the keys, I would have at least severely crazed them,if not melted them.

The moral of the story is do not buy OOPS! To clean your keytops or anything else plastic that had paint spilled onto it. Goof Off is safe to use and removes latex paint easily.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

sean

The Material Safety Data Sheet says that Goof Off is acetone, xylene, oil, and other volatiles.
Mostly acetone 60%-100%

The Goof Off MSDS is:
http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/sites/default/files/msds/goof_off_cleaner_voc_compliant_2410.pdf

My favorite gunk remover lately is PAM cooking spray.  I would never use it on a piano, but it works great to remove adhesive residue from glass, plastic, and chrome.  It will remove the adhesive residue from the sticker that idiot cymbal companies put on the underside of the bell.

pianotuner steveo

Umm... Goof off neither smells like acetone nor acts like acetone....and I have used it on piano keys many times with no problems. I have both cans in front of me and there is no mention of Acetone on the goof off can, but it is the first thing listed on the OOPS! can.

Also, Goof Off smells like dry cleaning fluid, OOPS! Smells like lacquer thinner (acetone)

It does state however, that goof off MAY affect some plastics.

I think  that data sheet may be incorrect as far as percentages go

Anyway, the point is Goof Off has never wrecked any keytops that I have used it on, so maybe you want to test on am hidden spot first.

1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...