News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Accountant Compressor Pedal (Dirty Compressor)

Started by melveyr, December 18, 2019, 03:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melveyr

I was using a dynacomp for a while, but really didn't like what it did to my transients. Made the keyboard "feel" weird too. I recently picked up an "accountant" compressor by fairfield circuitry. It's definitely not transparent, and when its really working its adding some distortion. But the benefit of this is that it doesn't feel weird to play the same way a dynacomp would.

Here is a little recording I did with some pretty heavy compression.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6OmGelnEkp/

Anyways I thought it help anyone who was exploring guitar pedals for compression  :D

thetrufflehog

Any examples of electric pianos with effects is so useful and welcome because there simply isnt enough out there!

Sounds really nice! I like the video you posted earlier with the dynacomp too. I use a behringer CL9 (Ibanez clone) for compression. Regarding the effect on feel to the player, I totally get what you mean - I usually turn mine off when I am playing ballads or tunes that swing but really love it on the stuff that is more of a pocket groove. Soundwise its an effect that usually isn't noticeable to audiences. One reason I chose the behringer over a dyna comp is that I wanted to have the attack time be adjustable. I do think that helps a lot with keeping transients intact.

Leaving the distortion aside, with the fairfield I can really hear it compressing the sound of the wurli more than the mxr (I know it's up high but damn that squish!). Interesting in that there may be a difference here between what the player experiences and the listener hears. Now you have two great and really distinct comps!
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Mason and Hamlin Model 50 Upright
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36
(Rhodes) Behringer C9 Comp > EHX Soul Food > MXR Univibe Kokko Space Reverb > Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Vibrato Preamp
(ARP) Donner Yellow Fall Delay

melveyr

Glad you found it helpful  :D I also have a vibrato pedal from Fairfield called the "Shallow Waters" which is cool because it has bucket brigades and also has a randomness to the modulation that keeps things interesting. You can also jack the rate up so high that you don't hear the pitch bend but it adds a type shivering quality to the sound. I'll make a video!

I haven't had the chance to try a compression pedal that has all the parameters like your Behringer one... Will have to add that to my list lol  8)

thetrufflehog

If you can find one of the Ibanez or Maxon versions (red three knob comps...I think theres a comp pro or something that looks the same but has ratios and is a totally differenct circuit and very expensive) they'll have better build quality. And I think the TC forcefield is the same pedal in a different (nicer) enclosure. This behringer series of pedals is constantly on backorder. But its a nice comp circuit no matter how you go!
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Mason and Hamlin Model 50 Upright
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36
(Rhodes) Behringer C9 Comp > EHX Soul Food > MXR Univibe Kokko Space Reverb > Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Vibrato Preamp
(ARP) Donner Yellow Fall Delay