News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Wurlitzer 200 dampening issue

Started by KenRig1979, October 04, 2016, 10:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenRig1979

Hello - just bought a 200 model and there were a couple notes that weren't quite dampening. Turned to youtube and one of the Vintage Vibe videos said to loosen the offending damper regulating screws, which worked, but now I'm noticing once I do this to one or two keys, one or two -other- (nearby-ish?) keys start ringing afterwards. I'm guessing this might indicate a bigger problem, any insight?

cinnanon

No..keep chasing the ringing notes...loosening the respective dampers.  If it doesn't end..then i'd say you need new damper felts, as they're too hard. When you press a key, the damper should start to lift after about 1/3 of the total key travel.  If it lifts right away when you press a key, it may not be dampening the reed at all.

pianotuner steveo

I agree with Cinnanon but also, a temporary solution for damper felts that are too hard- try squeezing the v shape closer together with needle nose pliers ( carefully lift damper before doing this)
Also make sure you don't snap the wooden stickers (the wooden shafts below the metal screw you are turning are called stickers) by holding them while turning the damper screws. There should be about a business card's thickness of clearance at these screws between them and their grommets.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...