what fuzz/drive pedals are you using on your rhodes?

Started by andydtoy, June 20, 2010, 05:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andydtoy

Hey there, I'm new to the site but have been playing rhodes pianos for years.  I'm kind of a pedal geek and love using pedals through all my keyboards, but lately I've been looking for a really light, transparent drive for my rhodes.  I was wondering what fuzz or overdrive have been successful, I'm looking for something light and transparent that I can play whole chords and melody and doesn't sound crazy, any thoughts?  Thanks!

Spaceduck

Hey, I came here wondering the same thing. Like you, I'm not looking for anything crazy, but since I don't always play with a guitarist sometimes I need a little extra edge to fill out the sound.

Currently I'm running my Stage through a GT Trio (guitar preamp) set to "Mean" and run straight into the board. I think it sounds pretty good, but I was wondering what others do with pedals etc.

Yfront

I´ve tried a number of different pedals/boxes and nearly all of them creates to much distortion.....the only one I use, that in my opinion gives what You ask for is the Ibanez tubescreamer Ts-7, works perfectly with a Rhodes.
Rhodes Mk I -76
SCI Pro-One
Minimoog Voyager OS
Hammond XK1
Roland JC-120

drcarver

Have a look at the Wampler ecstasy drive.  I've been using one for about a year, and love it.

Nitrofunk

I used the Maxon OD808. It sounded good on the Rhodes, had very low Noise but lacked a bit of Punch. I now own the Barber LDT SR and it sounds even better than the 808: It has more Punch and its Noise level is also very low.
Peter
Fender Rhodes Stage 73 ('76) - Boss GE-7 - Small Stone - Boss MD500 - Boss RV-6 - Roland Cube 60 (vintage)
Fender Rhodes Suitcase 88 ('74)
Wurlitzer 200a
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Prophet 10

zoooombiex

kind of obscure, but there was a pedal company called antelope fx that made a pedal called the lovelight overdrive.  it's a relatively low gain overdrive but sounds perfect with a rhodes.  they come up used every once in a while.  i use that for all my low gain growly drive stuff.  (if you find one, be sure to put a buffer AFTER the pedal)

for medium gain i use a boss/occtone PMC.  it's a modded DS-1.  nice thick crunch but not over the top.

for high gain i use a mad professor sky blue overdrive.  not subtle at all, but somehow thick and cutting at the same time.

Captain Caveman

jean-papa

i recently bought a fulltone ocd (v4).
i like it very much.

i had a boss od-1, a digitech bad monkey, a ibanez ds10, a maxon od-820, and to my ears the fulltone reacts really good to the dynamics of the rhodes. (better than the ones i had before)

also it's good to get punchy sounds from a wah used as a sort of booster, or if you have some kind of eq, or just getting the rhodes mics nearer to the tines, or mixing a bit of all that :P
www.youtube.com/TheMrJeanPapa
www.soundcloud.com/jean-pa

question3

I'm super super close to buying a Radial Tonebone Trimode.  Fantastic choices at hand.
http://www.tonebone.com/

1) I can make the first channel have the signal run through the tube no drive
2) second channel through the tube drive with just enough for it to break up when you hit hard enough
3) True bypass - Straight through with nothing in it's way

I'm getting nothing but great reviews on this.  I'll let everyone know how it goes when I get it!

AFeastOfFriends

Seeing this title inspired me to try out a Dunlop germanium Fuzz Face I had left over from before I switched to keys. Didn't sound too great for the most part, but I did find a sort of sweet spot on the controls where it was only slightly fuzzed and sounded pretty decent.

All in all, bleh on the Fuzz Face. I figured as much. I don't really care for distortion on the Rhodes sound, anyways. Overdrive is nice, distortion and fuzz are overboard.

andi85

Has anyone of you guys tried the Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor?

I've just played the first concert with my recently acquired Roland JazzChorus 120, and I'm pretty happy with it: I like the basic sound, it fills the venue nicely, and it's easily loud enough. It would just be nice to be able to dial in some slight overdrive – because the JC's stock overdrive is not really what I want to use.

To give you guys an idea of what I want: The degree of Herbie's overdrive on "Chameleon" will be enough. For something like Chick's sound on "Light As A Feather" or Esbjörn Svensson's live recordings with the Nils Landgren Funk Unit I'd probably just take my HotRod Deluxe and either use the drive channel or crank it way up.
Tuning instruments makes the band sound thin!