News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Learning Technique

Started by MattPC1, August 26, 2005, 06:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattPC1

Does anyone know of any good resources for technique on the Rhodes?  I consider myself to be a decent player, but I'd love to improve.  I know there are lots of specifics...any help would be really appreciated!
Matt
matt.four@gmail.com
'76 Mark I Stage 73

tnelson

Do you mean playing technique?
Cheapest resource is just to learn from the recordings you probably already have. Most effective resource is usually to find the best player/teacher in your area and invest in at least a few lessons. Even if you're a great player, there's always something to learn. Nothing special about Rhodes playing vs other piano or keyboard technique, except perhaps to trust your ears about thinning out chord voicings.

MattPC1

Yeah, I was referring to playing technique.  The differences between an acoustic piano and the Rhodes are enough that I feel like I could use some instruction.  Just like thinning out my chord voicings - you're right, it just gets too muddy when I do my normal acoustic voicings.  

Probably too much to hope that someone actually wrote a book on the subject...maybe I'll do that one day...
Matt
matt.four@gmail.com
'76 Mark I Stage 73

hrees

Transcribe: get a classic Herbie/Chick Corea album and work out the solos/chord voicings. That will show you a lot more than any instruction book.

I have something called 'The 60 Funkiest Keyboard Riffs Known to Mankind" and compared to the above method it is useless. From listening to the great players you get all the playing feel as well as the notes, and you improve your hearing in the process.