The Electric Piano Forum

Misc => Gigs, Events, Music Releases and off topic stuff etc. => Topic started by: Oaklandjake on January 12, 2020, 11:30:55 PM

Title: Instrument Insurance
Post by: Oaklandjake on January 12, 2020, 11:30:55 PM
So, I have some decent gear and I have it covered by my homeowners policy. I told them the value I thought it was worth and they added it to my policy. Should I feel that I'm covered or should i worry that they might say 'That fender rhodes, how do we know it really works, we'll reimburse you $200". You always hear about insurance companies ripping people off so I'm wondering if I should get an instrument appraisal, but that seems more apporpriate for someone with a $60,000 violin or Guitar.

What do people do who have gear worth 5-15 k do for insurance???
Title: Re: Instrument Insurance
Post by: pianotuner steveo on March 27, 2020, 06:28:35 AM
Take pictures of everything and keep them in the cloud. I also wrote down every instrument, when
I bought it, and approximate value today. I have both a hard copy and digital copy. I wouldn't spend money on an appraiser since their opinion is subjective too. How many appraisers out there would be experts on the kind of gear we have? Probably not many...
Title: Re: Instrument Insurance
Post by: Alan Lenhoff on March 27, 2020, 08:03:19 AM
My insurer told me that to add a rider to cover my vintage instruments, I would need an appraisal. I said I literally wrote the book on these instruments, and am as qualified as anyone to determine their value. But they want a "certified appraiser."  So, I would need to hire someone who is eminently qualified to appraise a 100-year-old Steinway concert grand, but would likely have no idea what a like-new Wurli 140B or Clavinet D6 is worth.  Maybe some day, I'll sort my way through this.

(And just to add to the fun, since my instruments are in a basement room, I told the insurer I was primarily concerned with flood damage.  Flood damage would not be covered unless I bought a special policy at great expense, and even then it would not cover a sewer backup. Oh...)


Title: Re: Instrument Insurance
Post by: The Real MC on March 27, 2020, 05:18:19 PM
Specialized music equipment - especially those no longer in production - are not usually covered in homeowners insurance as they are not considered typical household fixtures like home piano, furniture, TV, stereo, refrigerator, etc.  You can easily replace typical household fixtures but not vintage gear.

You should look into a personal artifacts rider specifically designed to cover non-typical household fixtures.  They have these for unusual personal collections such as stamps, sports memorabilia, artwork, etc.

Also check your policy very carefully for terms IE most policies will not cover loss if it leaves the dwelling IE gigging with vintage gear.