Author Topic: My 200 just got a warneck/retrolinear!  (Read 114 times)

Offline DoctorTeeth

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
My 200 just got a warneck/retrolinear!
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
The wurli I have been working on overhauling just got an ep200 board and a set of reed shields from retrolinear, and I am impressed. I will admit I still have some work to do in the keybed/easing bushings (those tools/shims/rail felts are on the way), but the amp rail is now basically done, and it sounds great! Ive done all the amp rail modifications one at a time to kind of gauge the differences and draw the process out a little (I like to tinker). The first thing I did was make a new pickup cable out of some xlr and an rca plug/electrical terminal crimp ends, that alone was a big jump in noise reduction, then I twisted and foil covered the ac input lines from the transformer (I actually unscrewed the transformer and flipped it 180 when I did this as it added extra legnth to the ac lines, and also added an inline fuse holder), those two things alone (pickup cable/transformer mod) were very very effective at killing hum. I also installed new speakers after the transformer mod, because I like to party. Last night I removed my damper combs and added the reed shields, they fit very well and removed a touch more of the noise. The reduction in noise in each step actually seemed like it made the amp “louder”, although I am fairly certain this perception of more volume was more related to the fact that there was less background noise after each step. Although when I would power the amp on there was still crackle/hiss (which I imagine was some of the caps on the original amp charging up), it sounded good!

This morning I installed the new amp board, and I will say that it actually IS louder than the old board. Its not like plugging into an external amp loud, but for sure has a much higher output than the old amp. Tonally it sounds more clear, or maybe more full range as the original amp sounded pretty dark in comparison (which could also be due to component age). The vib sounds as youd expect and its got some really nice bark to it! Its also so quiet in terms of noise floor its hard to even tell its on when at rest. As a package deal with the shields the retrolinear kit is a really nice upgrade to a stock 200!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:00:45 PM by DoctorTeeth »

Offline DoctorTeeth

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: My 200 just got a warneck/retrolinear!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:17:38 PM »
Visited a friend and trusted tech the other day and he was working on two wurli’s, he showed me how to carefully ease the key bushings with a pair of pliers (although he has the proper tools), today i went ahead and eased each key on my 200 with a pair of needle nose and a thin flat piece of steel stock on the side of the key to keep from chewing up the wood. Worked like a charm, and saved me some cash! A little bit went a long way! Now only a very few number keys dont return with the sustain pedal down, and they all function very well without the pedal depressed!

Could the lack of return be due to impropper regularion? Ive got the “good” wrench for adjusting the capstans, but havent touched them.

Offline babygrit

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: My 200 just got a warneck/retrolinear!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gwb4po8vrLw

Part 1 and 2 of this video worked for me. Had the same problem with a couple keys. I went through every action part(as shown in the video) and lubricated each part with a Naptha/silicon solution. Then gently expanded the bushing holes underneath each key. Also libricated each metal bushing with a fine household oil. Took around 5 hours total but each key’s action is perfect.
-babygrit

76’ Fender Rhodes MK1
72’ Wurlitzer 206A