Author Topic: Volume in Rhodes 72'  (Read 381 times)

Offline Roberto83

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Volume in Rhodes 72'
« on: March 03, 2019, 06:26:58 PM »
Hello,

I write you because I'm having problems adjusting my piano.

I have adjusted the volume and voicing of several octaves and they sounds powerful, with lot of bark and dynamic response, but I don't like the volume in C52 octave because its volume is lower and thinner compared to the other ones. Higher octave sounds with more volume due the wood neoprene hammertips.

The pickup distance in C52 octave is less than 1mm (maybe 0,25 mm?), being this distance as close as I can (I assume that voicing and strike line are well made).
I have noticed that this octave doesn't have the same bark and distortion as other notes when I press the keys strongly.

I have to say that the distance between tines and pickups in other lower octaves is between 0.5 and 1 mm and I'm using a Roland KC with a 15" speaker to adjust the piano.

I don't appreciate difference in volume between this octaves and the rest of the keys when I use headphones, but I do when I use the amp (flat eq).

Do I need push the pickups further?
Do you think that this kind of difference in volume due to the size of the speaker?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Volume in Rhodes 72'
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »

Move the pickups back away from the tines in the bass and midrange, and get all the octaves producing an even volume.

I have tried to fight that octave with EQ, but I can't make it sound right.  Moving the pickups to set musically consistent volume is what you need to do.

sean

Offline Roberto83

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Volume in Rhodes 72'
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
Thanks a lot, Sean.
I'm going to try it. :)