Author Topic: Dennon Nippon Columbia / Elephian E-Piano Resoration.. Whirlitzer Parts..?  (Read 259 times)

Offline Rob Squarehead

• Pre-Piano
  • Playing music, making records.
    • View Profile
    • Squarehead Studio
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I've joined as I recently got an E-Piano that I'm struggling to get information on. I've seen some post on here of similar machines so thought I would reach out for advice.

It's labeled as a Dennon and has a makers badge for Nippon Columbia. It looks similar to what I've seen called and Elepian on this forum.

Sadly this piano is in a sad state and I need to source or make some parts for it.

It's in a small piano upright case and has what look a lot like a Whirly tone bar and pick up inside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5txgewbh182l4iz/2019-03-03%2015.29.50.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29rwvy9mn2nus0j/2019-03-03%2015.29.28.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nxvkz05cowfjlf/2019-03-03%2015.29.39.jpg?dl=0

I think it may have come from South Africa where it was bought new. I will get more photos soon.

Thanks, Rob
Squarehead Studio.

Offline Dzdpgtehu

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • Téhu
Nice find,

Hope that the reeds are not too rusty!
Are the keys stucks? the hammers move freely?

You can easily test the piano in a passive way, by picking a 1/4 jack out of the knob on the ''harp'' direct to the pickup output (Like a Rhodes Stage) and test out the pickups if the electronic isn't working.

Those missing hammers could be 3d printed i think, dunno if they are hard to remove, never done it!

Good luck, more pictures could be interesting!

Xavier
Rhodes Mark I Suitcase 88 1977
Wurlitzer 200a 1979 Electric piano
Hohner Clavinet D6 Electric Harpsichord
Columbia Elepian Electric Piano
Yamaha CP60m Electric Piano
Yamaha YC20 Combo Organ
Roland VK9 1977 Clonewheel
Korg Polysix Analog Synth
Nord Electro 2 61

Offline vanceinatlance

• Mark I
    • View Profile
It looks nearly identical to the U.S. Maestro version of the piano as well. Any pics of the amp? If your schematic is missing, I may be able to help you there if they are the same design.
If the plastic action parts were measured for 3d printing, that would be a neat thing for keeping these little pianos alive. Best of luck on the project!

Offline Dzdpgtehu

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • Téhu
I think the Maestro is similar in exterior, but the amp and pickup sytem is different, much like a Wurlitzer 200a, with active pickup bar. The Elepian got individual passive pickup on each reed, like a Rhodes.

I got a Elepian and a 3D printer, could be a cool project. But i didn't figure out how to remove the hammers safetly (Want to be sure how to put it back before take it off)

Xavier
Yamaha YC20 Combo Organ
Nord Electro 2 61

Offline vanceinatlance

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Yes, I have seen the individual passive pickups on the Elepian. I really like the sound combo of the rhodes style pickups and wurly type reeds. I believe I have heard yours on another post and it sounded amazing!
 It appears the Denon Columbia may have an active pickup like my Maestro. The action appears very similar on both, so, it would be interesting to find out more about it's amp.
I agree that the action parts seem fragile on these, so I completely understand not wanting to jeopardize them. The 3d printing idea is really interesting and would be amazing if it could help keep some of the EP's going that might not have replacement parts available otherwise.

Offline Dzdpgtehu

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
    • Téhu
Vanceinatlance : You're right, just check up the pictures more closely, seems to have a active system in this one (With the pickup on both side of the reeds). Weird, really want to know what's the model number!

Mine also said ''Denon'' and it made in japan, so maybe there was some options for pickups systems!

Thanks for flagging that,

Xavier
Yamaha YC20 Combo Organ
Nord Electro 2 61