Author Topic: Ultrasonic cleaning of reeds  (Read 91 times)

Online cinnanon

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Ultrasonic cleaning of reeds
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:54:15 AM »
Anyone ever done this? I have a reed bar with some gunk/oil on it. I’m curious if the ultrasonic will remove the rust prohibitive coating on the reeds.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:57:37 PM by cinnanon »

Offline beginnersluke

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of reeds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »
Let us know if you try it. You could try it on a spare reed and then expose it to a high concentration of oxygen and see what happens. Are any reeds that spare though? Maybe for science...

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »

The ultrasound won't knock your socks off.  It won't hurt a chemically-plated finish on reeds, tines, tonebar blocks, nor tonebars. 

Ultrasonic cleaners do a very good job of removing grit and loose crud from fine-detail crevices.
The soapy solution used in the tank will remove grease and oil (and any rust-preventative oil as well).

Ultrasonic cleaners will NOT do any serious rust or corrosion removal.  Just the loose stuff will fall off.  It is a great way to get the remaining dusty crud off after wire-brushing or sanding a metal workpiece.

Sean

Online cinnanon

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 03:00:49 AM »
I have some sort of residue on the reedbar around some of the bolts and some reeds. Looks like someone wiped oil on the whole things at one point also. I’m probably better off taking all the reeds off and running them through the sonics that way. I think the entire reedbar assembly would attenuate too much. Plus the sonic would have to be large.