Is leaving 200a plugged into mains a fire risk?

Started by KeysAlUk, March 11, 2019, 04:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeysAlUk

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and also a new Wurly 200a owner.

I'm expecting to be playing the piano most days, but do I need to unplug it from the mains each night? Or, is it safe to leave it connected to the mains but switched off (via the switch on the volume pot).

Extra info:
The piano is in good cosmetic condition, and also has PAT testing (UK electrical safety) stickers on the mains cable and on the piano itself. The noise floor is low and everything sounds quite nice.

I opened the piano up, and looked at the reeds as one note is low in volume. I tried repositioning that reed (no change) also blew in that area to blow out any dust.

I had a few crackles and pops after that, which stopped after about 30 seconds and haven't happened since.

My main question is 'is it safe to leave it plugged in'. Any advice appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

beginnersluke

This is just my opinion (obviously), but as long as the wires into and out of the transformer are in good shape -- and it's good to check -- I don't see much risk at all in leaving it plugged in while switched off. (Though a transformer without load does consume some power, so if you don't come back to it often, unplugging may be a good idea anyway.) I play mine most days and leave it plugged in.

Luke

KeysAlUk

Hi, thanks for the reply - I'll keep that in mind.

For now, I found a workaround that removes the potential issue. I just got a switched IEC cable extension. This way I can just switch the power off easily from the cable, rather than the volume pot.

This way I know there is no power going to the unit at all once switched off.

pianotuner steveo

The only concern I have with leaving vintage keys plugged in all the time, (and modern digital too) are power surges. Especially during storms.
I always unplug my keyboards when not in use. My sister lost her digital piano to a power surge last year and has to buy a new one.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

KeysAlUk

Electrickey

If it's vintage and with power company irregularities and lightning strikes more common I would unplug these not made anymore instruments just to keep lightning from making a toaster out of it.